PDA

View Full Version : What Digital Camera?

pico
18-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

I am in the market for a digital camera but am overwhelmed by the number of options. I am looking to spend around $500 and would like a non-SLR kind, the kind you would just slip in your pocket.

I noticed that there are a number of brands offering 7MP cameras around this price but the seemingly higher quality brands are only around 5-6 (I have been looking on pricespy).

Any recommendations would be good (I'm not sure when the last/next camera review is coming out in PC World).

Pico :confused:

lazydog
18-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Canon ixus 5mp. Great camera with a beautiful lcd screen to view pictures taken. Ok, I'm playing favorites since i have one but they really are a great camera. Especilly if you want an easy to use camera.

Theres some great cameras around now so your probably best to go down to some place like Dick Smiths (i know) and check out their camera display. You can then get a hands on feel of what you like/want. Just make sure its 5mp or over and has at least a 3x Optical zoom.

The rest is up to you.

Scouse
18-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Check here...
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=64434&highlight=Digital+camera

Terry Porritt
18-03-2006, 11:31 AM
First of all I'm not a photographer, just take snapographs.

I bought a Fujifilm E500 Finepix 4.1 Mp, 3.2 optical zoom, about 18 months ago or so, mainly because there was a special offer with a "free" 256MB memory card, and also because it uses AA rechargeables which I think most or all the Fuji range do.

That way you can always have some spare charged batteries in your pocket.

Some lower end cameras I've seen come with about 16MB of memory by default, which is just about useless, you do need much larger memory.

I find this camera, and probably others in the same price range and specs, to be pretty useless for bush photos and low light conditions, forgot to add: but otherwise quite good :)

:2cents:

somebody
18-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a Casio Exilim EX-z500 camera.

Nice and compact - but not too small - and excellent pic quality and battery life. I charged the battery about 2 weeks ago, and have been using the camera quite often to take pictures and short video clips.

Thoroughly recommend it.

Winston001
18-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Possibly there are as many opinions as there are cameras. Canon have a very good reputation. Some people here are also very happy with their Fujis.

From what I've read, 4mp is any amount and 5mp gives you plenty of data to blow up without loss of quality. Above that just gives you huge files which you may never use.

Your question is posted here about every 2 months so I suggest a search. There is excellent advice. Let us know how you get on.

Trev
18-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Why not join Consumer Online for $74 a year. They have test, reviews and recommendations on virtually all digital cameras.

Trevor :)

bachelorno1
18-03-2006, 12:33 PM
There are alot of cameras to choose from, so if you are after a general purpose camera pick a couple of 'criteria' that are important to you in addition to pocketable size and around costing $500, and look for one that fits the bill.

What you should consider is what kind of photos you usually take, and where you take them. There will be camera out there whose strength meet your needs whether it be size, red eye removal, water resistance, long zoom, wide angle, AA or proprietrary battery, image stabilisation, enhanced macro mode, memory card format, megapixels, etc, etc.

I hope this helps.

By the way, I have a Canon Powershot A70

Cicero
18-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I have my eye on this one......

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs5200z.asp

Neongreen
18-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I've got a Canon EX-Z50.

Decent camera, I'm not a photographer either, but it's got plenty of options for a newbie.

Nomad
19-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi all,

I noticed that there are a number of brands offering 7MP cameras around this price but the seemingly higher quality brands are only around 5-6 (I have been looking on pricespy).

Pico :confused:

By a long shot, I will pick a higher quality camera at a lesser MP figure than just go for a higher MP figure alone. That is continues to be one of the less informed decision making by some pple. MP is just the size of the photograph. It tells you nothing about the quality, until you compare and look at them vs. others.

I can use a photo software and interpolate 6MP to 24MP all I care, its a 24MP file. The quality obviously won't be a good 24MP camera quality.

In the photo world, 6MP to 8MP is nothing much if any. Most impt is the ergonomics. From 6MP to 10MP again nothing much as well, unless you are looking for larger printed sizes. Becos, 6MP are v good already.

They would say its not the camera, it the photographer that makes the photograph. You are also looking at the processing with the camera and software, noise, lens issues and things like that etc.

I use a Nikon D70 (6MP) SLR, Canon A510 (3MP) pocket cam, and a Nikon F100 (film) and would like to get into larger sized film cameras to scan and print my own in due time.

If you are not a real purist photog. Have a look at www.kenrockwell.com he likes the Casio slim cameras v well. While he is attacked by some purist online chatrooms (communities), bottom line I think is his picures are not bad and esp if you are looking for a slim camera have a read of it and you are not a photog. buff.

Click onto "technical".

I took his advice and got a Canon A510 as its quite small thou not as small as yours and has full manual controls and v cheap at under $300NZ. It is also rated quite good on www.dpreview.com

mxpress
19-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I have a Canon ixus 5mp and quite simply, it is the best digital camera I have ever had. Instant pics, no delay, no missed shots, crisp, Fantastic pictures. Don't go past one!

I am in the market for a digital camera but am overwhelmed by the number of options. I am looking to spend around $500 and would like a non-SLR kind, the kind you would just slip in your pocket.

Any recommendations would be good (I'm not sure when the last/next camera review is coming out in PC World).

Pico :confused:[/QUOTE]

Greg
19-03-2006, 09:56 AM
We got ourselves a Canon Powershot SD300 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd300/) which we're absolutely thrilled with. Even the higher spec'd models (eg SD400/450 (http://www.etop.co.nz/index.php?cPath=45&osCsid=c275d27b269e10a16aed9c1ea8da33b4) ) will be within your price range.

Scouse
19-03-2006, 10:17 AM
After about three months hands-on use I recommend the FujiFilm S5600. Like most other consumer goods though, it's horses for courses.

supergran
19-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Well my choice is the Sony Cybershot W5 5Mp as it is compact, takes great photos outside, reasonable ones inside without the flash, better with it, has heaps of easy to read settings bigger screen to see the image you are going to take, and has heaps of settings if you want to ever go off manual, and try taking pics the hard way. Oh, and runs on double A batteries.

Cicero
19-03-2006, 02:17 PM
After about three months hands-on use I recommend the FujiFilm S5600. Like most other consumer goods though, it's horses for courses.
Good afternoon Scouse.
Have you found any faults at all in the S5600 and what are pics like on max zoom?

Cicero
19-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I wonder if this is better than the Fuji jobbi.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1

Rob99
20-03-2006, 02:37 AM
I wonder if this is better than the Fuji jobbi.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
Nice camera, depends what you want, big with all the manual features or smaller with lots of features.

The Panasonic has wide screen by the look of the features, I would consider this as a kick ass point and shoot that you can shove in your pocket.

Whereas the Fuji you have the option to be a little more creative in your shots, and have to drape it round your neck.

Cicero
20-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Nice camera, depends what you want, big with all the manual features or smaller with lots of features.

The Panasonic has wide screen by the look of the features, I would consider this as a kick ass point and shoot that you can shove in your pocket.

Whereas the Fuji you have the option to be a little more creative in your shots, and have to drape it round your neck.
In the past I have had flash cameras only to realise I have know interest in photography.
What I want is a top class snap camera with the facilities to take most pics when desired.
Is it released here yet and what is price?
All I can find is US prices.

Greg
20-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Is it released here yet and what is price?
All I can find is US prices.It's not listed on this site (http://www.etop.co.nz/index.php?cPath=45&sort=2a&filter_id=76) but you could ask them.

Cicero
20-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Must be to new,not on there advanced search.