PDA

View Full Version : different adsl providers.....

drcspy
17-03-2006, 04:51 PM
say for example I haev a clear adsl account and the line is enabled for broadband......does this pertain ONLY to clear in that for example can I take my spare d-link 302g which is set up for xtra there and plug it in and expect it to work ?.......

Billy T
17-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Since the lines and the exchange hardware are all Telecom's, wouldn't the login be the only differentiating point?

Kind of makes a mockery of the wholesaling of broadband and the various ISPs' features lists. All you are really getting is Telecom in drag.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

CYaBro
17-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I know you can't do that with iHug.
May be the case with all ISPs now, I don't know.
We have iHug Bliink at work and when I've tried testing a clients router, who is with Xtra, on the line it would not connect.
Spoke to iHug and they said it won't connect because the login is not an ihug one.

somebody
17-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I think there is a differentiation between the "Jetstream" network and the "UBS" network, such that it requires a physical switchover to move from one to the other at the exchange.

Billy T
17-03-2006, 06:13 PM
ISpoke to iHug and they said it won't connect because the login is not an ihug one.
*cough* :blush:

I should have remembered that, you have to use your logon to access the dslam at your local exchange, and of course that is tied by copper wire to your telephone outlet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

drcspy
18-03-2006, 05:49 AM
so.....the bottom line is: if I try to use my jetstream modem by plugging it into connection set up for clear then I wont be able to access the net - well at least not while the modem has the xtra login details on it........................how about if I put my clear login details on it then ?......