PDA

View Full Version : Communication between 2 wireless Routers?

Groovvy
16-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi,
I am just wondering if 2 wireless routers can talk to each other?
I mean if 1 router has an ADSL connection (whatever speed it is) can that router tranmsit data to the 2nd router through wireless?
It can any router with any wireless options built in.

Is that possible at all?

I hope that makes sense :)

Thanks,
Groovy

Greven
16-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Some wireless routers will probably be able to be set on repeater mode, but when me & my friends tried to do the same thing with our wireless routers, we couldn't do it.

maccrazy
16-03-2006, 08:49 PM
As Greven said, some can. For example, Apple's Airport Express wireless base station can interact with other Express or Extreme base stations to expand the range of the network. You would be best to check your manual and do a search. :)

CYaBro
16-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Some can do it but have to be from the same manufacturer.
Look for something like 'Bridge Mode', 'Repeater Mode', 'WDS' or similar in the setup for each router. You then have to put the MAC address of the other router in there so it knows it can talk to that router.

Edit: Also the wireless security settings, SSID etc have to be the same on each router.

I have had the most success with the Belkin wireless access points for this.

Rob99
16-03-2006, 10:45 PM
The main access point with the internet access is to run in "access point" mode, the other should be set to "client mode" this will allow internet and local two way comunication.

If you go for Linksys there are certain firmware upgrades you can do to give you a heap more features.