PDA

View Full Version : Problems writing CDs with Asus DRW-1608P2S DVD Writer

technicianxp
15-03-2006, 09:36 PM
I've just recently purchased an Asus DRW-1608P2S DVD Writer. I've used it to make a DVD only once so far (a very short one for that matter) and it was burned perfectly. However, with burning CDs it's been a whole different case. Either when I'm burning a disc I get an error message saying that the burning process failed, the burning process just stops or I get errors in the verification process which follows.
I have examined the Nero 6 Logs and found this one error message to be the cause of every problem:

#148 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1286
ASUS DRW-1608P2S\H1 T0 : Queue again later

I'm unsure as to what that means too. There's also another message which showed up repeatedly in my latest attempt. I have uploaded the log to http://ngahunia.kol.co.nz/Log.txt so if anyone thinks they can help me by reading it then please do so. :help:

Kame
16-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Well firmwares up to date for the DVD Writer so that rules that out.

I can't see what media you're using, and who makes it, whether it's good quality or not, could try other brands since cheap media can sometimes add up to why you have problems.

I also notice InCD installed, this can sometimes conflict, so it's better to remove it and use something else in it's place.

The key things to take from the log are the error codes for sense key, sense code and sense qual:

(from your log)

Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)
Sense Code: 0x21
Sense Qual: 0x00

Those numbers 052100 make up what is known as the Atapi Error Code and you'll be able to find the listings of what it means searching for it, this error suggests Logical Block Address out of range. If it is system related, it'd be one of the hardest problems to solve.

Check Nero for updates (I know Version 7 is out now, but see if Version 6 has any updates), remove InCD, try alternative burning software like Alcohol 120% (which most likely will work), if it works, it could be Nero or system related but don't forget what I said above, with trying different media.

Cheers,

KK