PDA

View Full Version : Asus DRW-1608P2S DVD writer media & speed related??

J ZEP
15-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi guys, i have just put a new Asus DRW-1608P2S DVD writer (internal) into my Mothers computer for her, and just had a couple of general questions about a couple of issues, mainly media speed related- hoping for some feedback from somebody who has this model.

Firstly i did the firmware upgrade as it wasn't detecting TDK DVD+R's at the right max. writing speed of "8X" - the firware update brought it up to detecting them at 6X, which was better than the pre upgrade of 4X write speed. (as a side note, my old sony dvd writer detects the same discs at the 8X write).

I did a bit of research and apparently this was a common problem in the "previous" models, i.e the drive not detecting the right writing speed, however an upgrade to the firmware solved it in the previous models.

Anyway i thought maybe it is just this brand disc, so i tried some Sony 4X I had handy and they are detected at the right writing speed. I will also try some other brand dvds over the weekend hopefully.

But the next thing this leads me to is the supposed "over-speed burning", which this writer is supposed to offer, as even with the Sony dvds, they couldn't be written at the faster rate, (over-speed burning) --- so i am really just interested to see if other users of this model are actually getting any "over-speed burning" functionality, from any paticular brands of dvd????

From what i have read in reviews, people are getting the "overspeed burn" with the 2.4x DVD+DL disc -

"resulting in a high quality burn at the highest speed of 8x on a 2.4x DVD+DL disc. It is the only DVD burner that has been able to burn 2.4x DVD-DL at 8x."

The only DL disc i had, was once again a TDK brand, 2.4x DVD+DL disc - which didn't give the overspeed burning.

So if anybody has this drive i would be interested to see if anybody is yeilding the overpeed burning on 8x DVD+R disc at speeds of up to 12x (or DL "overspeed burning"), and paticularly what brand discs they are using etc...

Asus DRW-1608P2S (http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=6&l2=35&l3=0&model=764&modelmenu=1)

Review (http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?id=330002683)

Another Review (http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=5706)

The_End_Of_Reality
15-03-2006, 08:50 PM
This has also got me (have the same drive), and am interested in replys.

I am using Imation DVD+R 8x and the max I can burn is 6x

BTW where was the firmware DL?

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2006, 08:57 PM
The update is here (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ODD/DVD-RW/DRW-1608P2S/ASUS_DRW-1608P2S_FW137EU2.ZIP) (1.37).

And the site is here (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us)

Kame
16-03-2006, 01:28 AM
If using Nero for burning, it's possible that it won't burn too much over the detected speed of the media, this might be the case for many CD/DVD burning programs, however, it's usually best to burn at slower speeds for reliability.

Cheers,

KK

autechre
16-03-2006, 10:53 AM
"Over-speed" burning definitely depends on the media you're using and the firmware on your drive.

I can burn some 8x Verbatim disks at 12x or 16x with my NEC drive.

The DVD burner has a set of rules in it's firmware on how fast it can burn each brand & type of media.

With hacked firmware, the rules are sometimes altered to allow faster burning with some media.

TDK & Imation are not generally top quality disks, so burning at faster than indicated speeds is probably going to give you a coaster or disk with a lot of read errors.

J ZEP
16-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far, to be honest i wasnt to worried about the "over-speed burning" until it didn't detect the first dics at the normal max. write speed, (as i know its better to go for the slower speeds to achieve more reliable results, as KK said), so it made me curious, as to wether others were achieving it, especially if it wasn't detecting the dics at max. write speed, let alone "over-speed burning". I actually rang the shop and asked what brand he would recommend, before telling him what i had tried, coincidentally he recommended TDK...

This has also got me (have the same drive), and am interested in replys. I am using Imation DVD+R 8x and the max I can burn is 6x

BTW where was the firmware DL?
Yesterday 08:30 PM

The_End_Of_Reality, did you do the firware DL???, Speedy gave you the correct update :). I am interested to see if the firmware update gave you any better results with the Imation DVD+R 8x?? I noticed that even though they have included a link to update the firmware in Nero, it doesn't seem to update through that method unfortunately.
I found another review (although the results were in another language, Asian i think? it was still easy to distinguish his available speed results using "Nero CD DVD Speed", same as i have been using), where he was using Verbatim 8X DVD+R and acheived the available "over-burn speeds" up to 12X.

Results here (http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/12/726.html)

Regardless of the "overspeed burning", i would feel better if it at least detected the correct max. write speeds for the discs - especially considering this drive is brand new, whereas my Sony dvd drive is close to a couple of years old and still detects the correct max.write speeds... Quite disappointing really :(

So it appears that The_End_Of_Reality and myself may have used the worst couple of brands of dvd media, lol, as we are both getting max speeds of 6X on 8X Imation and TDK. As i said earlier i wouldn't mind if it at least detected them at the normal right max speeds.

I'll be interested to see if the firmware update increased The_End_Of_Realitys detection speeds.

Cheers

J ZEP
16-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I noticed that even though they have included a link to update the firmware in Nero, it doesn't seem to update through that method unfortunately.

The Asus Firmware Update feature is now working, after upgrading the firware :thumbs: - however prior to updating the firware it didn't detect the drive through it and just told me to go to the Asus website, so obviously the first firmware update is relevant to that working properly ;).

The_End_Of_Reality
16-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, here is my awaited reply :p

I DLed and updated the firmware went to burn a DVD at the discs max speed......... and got a whole choice of 4x of 6x (the same as before).

I am the same as you J ZEP, all I would like is to burn at max disc speed, I dont care about overburning.

J ZEP
17-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I DLed and updated the firmware went to burn a DVD at the discs max speed......... and got a whole choice of 4x of 6x (the same as before).

Thanks The_End_Of_Reality, always handy to know others results ;).

I have just spoken to my mother and she has brought about 4 different brands of dvd to try, she won't be up until sunday however, but i will post back and let you know if it likes any paticular brands/speeds etc... :thumbs:.
She has brought Verbatim amongst the dvds, so i am very interested to see the results that will give, as it appears they are the one brand that other people get correct speeds (and over-burn speeds) on.

Cheers

The_End_Of_Reality
18-03-2006, 10:06 AM
I am very interested in your results J ZEP, though I have a fair idea of the outcome ;)

I have been doing a little research and it seems we are not alone (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060220012406796&board_id=2&model=DRW-1608P2S&page=1&SLanguage=en-us) :horrified

J ZEP
19-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Just a bit of feedback about some different discs i tried today, for anybody interested...

Disc Speed Results

TDK DVD+R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 6X (incorrect max. speed)

TDK DVD+DL 2.4x --- detects as max. speed of 2.4 (correct max. speed)

SONY DVD+R 4X --- detects as max. speed of 4X (correct max. speed)

SONY DVD-R 4X --- detects as max. speed of 4X (correct max. speed)

Verbatim DVD+R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 12X
(correct with over-speed burn)

Verbatim DVD-R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 8X (correct max. speed)

Imation DVD+R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 8X (correct max. speed)

Memorex DVD+R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 6X (incorrect max. speed)

Philips DVD+R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 6X (incorrect max. speed)

Summary:
The only "over-speed burn" capable disc from the 8X discs tested, was the
Verbatim DVD+R 8X --- detects as max. speed of 12X :), however, as you can see, one that surprised me that detected at its correct max. speed was the "Imation DVD+R 8X", as The_End_Of_Reality was not able to get correct max. speed for those discs?

All of the same discs were tested in my Sony DVD Drive - DRU-700A, which gave the correct max. speed for every disc, so thats rather encouraging for my old dvd drive :).

The_End_Of_Reality
19-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Well that has got me stumped :eek:

I still stand with my 6x on Imation (just tested again) :confused:

But still that is only 2/3s of the discs correct speed.

Still flashing the firmware looks like it will get better results as show in the link I posted previously.

*very confused :confused:*

Nice work on your testing :thumbs:

J ZEP
19-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I still stand with my 6x on Imation (just tested again)

Yes, i must admit, i wasn't expecting that Imation dvd to detect at the correct speed after your results?? BUT the one thing i did overlook, was the manufacturer/maker - Chris had a thread recently about dvd quality etc...

Here (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=66834)

From that thread, it appears that Imation DVDs can be made in a couple of different countries, giving differing quality - maybe we used differently manufactured Imation dvds perhaps? I should have noted that down too i guess...

I had a good look through the links you gave (thanks :)), and the results weren't that great for the tested cds in the cdfreaks link either... the one consistency i did note, was the Verbatim DVD+R 8X, they appeared to always read correctly and give the "over-speed" burn too. Not much of a trade off though, lol.

Still flashing the firmware looks like it will get better results as show in the link I posted previously.

Its a real shame that Asus don't update the firmware again, as it is obviously needed. I deceided against the firmeware update that wasn't an Official Asus one on Mums system, to avoid the possibility of voiding her warranty.

Are you going to try the non-Asus firmware update from the link?

The_End_Of_Reality
19-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh.... true, that could be it.

Thanks for that link, I hadn't read it, very interesting and seems Imation is bad quality :dogeye: oh well now I know what are the best brands.

Asus seem a little sloppy with their firmware, one good version is all that is needed.

No I don't think I am going to, burning a DVD doesn't take too long anyway, all I want is to get what I paid for and that is an Asus DVDRW with Asus firmware at the max rated speeds, but I am not going to void it to get that.