PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive not recognised???

dchip
15-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Okay the problem I'm having is:

I have a "Lite-On LDW 451S" DVD drive. It plays normal cd's fine but won't read DVD disks, not just movies but any DVD disk.

I'm running WinXP pro with sp2.

PENTIUM
15-03-2006, 04:09 PM
You will need to install the software that came with the unit. Probably it was Nero.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2006, 05:34 PM
How old is it?

Nero doesnt have to be installed for it to work (Well only if you want to burn with it). BUT I dont think this is a DVD burner is it?

The drivers XP installed for it should be fine. Well XP knows its there, coz it plays cd's.

If its still under warranty, take it back and get it replaced.

Sick Puppy
16-03-2006, 05:35 PM
The drivers XP installed for it should be fine. Well XP knows its there, coz it plays cd's.
That's what I thought when I purchased my laptop, and I was very ticked off when I found that it could not play my DVD movies.

Turns out that there were disks from Nero for burning DVD's and the laptop manufacturer for playing DVD's.

Y'see, I had figured that since it has an XP disc but was already loaded, it would be the same for the other discs. Then I loaded them anyway, and my DVD's play. I looked again at the XP disc. It was their recovery disc (bl**dy PC manufacturers that don't give out OS discs with their products! GRRR! :angry ).
Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it... :D

elixir
16-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Have you tried installing the DVD bundled software like Power DVD, Intervideo, etc. You may want to check at the CDs included. Also, what can you see at EXplorer (with no disc inside the drive)? Is it displaying DVD Drive or just CD drive?

Graham L
16-03-2006, 05:46 PM
It ought to read DVD data disks with the standard ATA CD/DVD driver from Windows. That worked in W2K. I think you'll need extra software to play DVD movies. There are free programmes if you didn't get any provided with the drive.

PENTIUM
17-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Dont know why we have a need to rubbish good suggestions based on servicing experience, Nero suite is not just a burner.