PDA

View Full Version : How do newspapers cut a selection from an image ..

John W
14-03-2006, 06:37 AM
How do they cut out a sportsperson from a sports background, yet show every strand of hair while place that person in a neutral or coloured background.

Years ago, you could see it had been done manually or electronically with sissors, how on earth is it done today in such fine detail?

Thanks John in Mosgiel.

Rob99
14-03-2006, 07:01 AM
You would use the Extract function in Photoshop. You use a thick highlighting brush to go around the edge, it does the magic and lifts the image, you then manually tidy the edges where needed, works best when there is a contrast between the thing you want lifted and the background.

netchicken
14-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Easy! :-)

If you have a single color, or a series of plain colors, you can easily extract the person like this...

1. make sure your picture is a layer and not a background, otherwise you just get another color (the background color) replacing the one you remove.

2. Click on the majic wand tool...
3 Click into the color you want removed
4 Press delete key

If you don't take out enough color at step 3, when the selected area doesn't look big enough, you need to increase the tolerance setting.
The higher the tolerance the more of other colors it will select.

So, I do this:
click on the area to remove,
Check with the selection that it is hard up against the picture you want to remove but not flowing into it.
If you need to adjust the tolerance then RIGHT click to unselect, change the tolerance, then left click again.

I may change the tolerance a number of times to get it as hard up against the picture as possible but not flowing into it.

Sometimes when the background colors are similar to the object colors and the selection is bleeding into the object you want to keep, you need to manually remove the connecting place where it bleeds with the erase tool.

Hope this helps :)

Rob99
14-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Thats the hard way, if you have photoshop give the extract function a go.

lazydog
14-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Thats the hard way, if you have photoshop give the extract function a go.

Hi Rob,
I have photoshop 7.
Can you tell me where the extraction tool can be found?

Rob99
14-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Rob,
I have photoshop 7.
Can you tell me where the extraction tool can be found?
I know they shifted it when they went version 8, version 9 has it from the Filter menu, I think it use to be in the select menu. You could try the shortcut Alt-Ctrl-X

kingdragonfly
14-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Might want to check out the Renderosity Adobe Forum
http://www.renderosity.com/forums.ez

It's a complicated subject, and quickly falls into a lot of technical jargon. Photoshop can give a reasonable start with automatted tools, but if the background is complex, you need some fine tuning by good old-fashioned elbow grease.

Morgenmuffel
14-03-2006, 03:35 PM
John you could always post a pic and some of us could edit it, and tell you what technique we used

promise we won't edit it in to dodgy situations, scouts honour