PDA

View Full Version : I have been violated

fatcam
14-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi Everyone

I have a message poping up when I am clicking a link in a third party program I use. The delvelopers have assured me that it is a microsoft issue.

'Access violation at address 7C3417FB in module 'MSVCR71.dll' Read of address 00000000'

I have replaced the file but still no luck. The program uses a local SQL database and is running on Windows XP SP2 (fully updated). All I can find out about the file is that it is probably a C++ runtime library file.

Any ideas would be much appreciated
Cheers

beama
14-03-2006, 06:56 AM
you dont metion
name of 3rd party application

are the microsoft updates complete and and up to date
have you searched microsoft knowledge base for any info
is this a recent development with this error message
have you installed anything new recently before getting this error message

kingdragonfly
15-03-2006, 12:20 PM
The DLL is part of the Microsoft C Runtime Library.

The message sounds like a software bug with the application, most likely an uninitialized pointer: 'Access violation ... Read of address 00000000'

ughnz
15-03-2006, 06:01 PM
What SQL server are you using?

How is the app communicating with the SQL server?

One of microsofts recent updates has broken alot of ODBC based apps and this may be your problem.

kingdragonfly
16-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I think ughnz is referring to MDAC. There is a MDAC component checker from Microsoft, sorry don't have the address.

The developer will likely say that there software will only run with MDAC x.x or better.

ughnz
16-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I think ughnz is referring to MDAC. There is a MDAC component checker from Microsoft, sorry don't have the address.

The developer will likely say that there software will only run with MDAC x.x or better.

MDAC is one issue the other is the jet engine update.