PDA

View Full Version : Woosh

geadmbc
13-03-2006, 08:35 AM
I am currently looking at the new Phone + broadband package from Woosh.

As I am currently on dial up it looks like a good step forward for no extra cost.

However my research on the web has complaints of latency problems and sometimes slower than dial up and also no service at all.

As the comments I have seen seem to be from around 2004 and early 2005 I would be interested in comments from anyone who is currently or has recently used their service.

How well does their phone service work and does thier 256 broadband work well or are there problems.

Thanks

somebody
13-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I have Woosh at the moment (10gb 512kb/s), and can generally get download speeds of around 390kbit/s. All in all, the service is ok, with the exception of latency which is a real issue. I have not had any experiences with their phone services, though using VOIP through Woosh has been quite unsuccessful - eg. with Google Talk you can notice a very clear delay of fairly close to 0.5secs which gets very irritating.

You can clearly notice a time delay between the time you click on a link, and the time it actually loads. Even on Xtra's 256k ADSL, the lag wasn't anywhere near as bad. If you intend to do any online gaming, Woosh would not be an ideal choice. Downloading and web surfing is fine - currently I have a connection split with 8 people, and we can all simultaneously surf the web without too many complications, though as I said earlier, the lag gets a bit frustrating.

MAC_H8ER
13-03-2006, 09:42 AM
yeah i have woosh too and i love it - apart from the latency issues
if you aare even thinking about online gaming - stay away from woosh, i get at best about 4-500ms pings which kills any online gaming but otherwise woosh is great for web surfing e-mail and downloading :thumbs:

kingdragonfly
13-03-2006, 10:51 AM
currently I have a connection split with 8 people, and we can all simultaneously surf the web without too many complications
I didn't think you could share woosh as it uses a virtualized modem and custom dialing software. I usually use a router for internet sharing, so I haven't tried it.

somebody
13-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Apparently it can be done with a router which supports PPPoE and buying the woosh's propriety E/net cable (at $35).

I'm sharing it by using an old laptop as a gateway, then connecting that to a secured WiFi AP.

geadmbc
14-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info re Woosh Broadband, does anyone out there have any experience with their new phone system?