PDA

View Full Version : Help with new computer

rerun
13-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey, ok, I won't waste any time.. I built this computer about 3 months ago, it was my first time do this. Everything went well.

I got the internet for it about a week ago, so thats when I really started useing it. However, i have encountered a few problems.

First off, stuff like some ads, and some webpages won't come up.. they come back as the page does not exist.. however, sometimes if you press refresh or you go back and then forward again it will show up.

Secondly, Windows media player will not connect to the internet, and if you try to play a file off the internet, it will say it doesn't exist.

Lastly, Whenever I try to download most files; after it is done and I try to run it it I get an error message "NSIS" saying that it is corrupt.. this has pretty much put a damper ont he whole computer..

I'm fairly new to computer workings so any help will be great. Thanks.

SurferJoe46
13-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I am going to start the ball rolling here...

We need some basics first..then the real tech-y peeps can get their teeth into your problems...

Start with Motherboard, # of Drives, Processor, OPSYS, RAM, anti-spy stuff and security you have installed BEFORE going online, are the Windows updates ALL installed (if you are using Windows, that is), type of ISP (dial-up, DSL)

Can you still get online?

A naked computer on the internet will last about 15 seconds before it's haunted by hackers, trojans, viruses and spam/pop-ups etc.

Do you have a router? Are you using WIFI? Is it secure?

So many questions... :dogeye:

rerun
13-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks alot.. here are the specs:

MOBO- Asus A8N-E
CPU- AMD 64 3200
The drivers I have on are from the CPU.. all NVIDIA stuff, and some ATI drivers too...
I'm using Windows XP home
1024RAM
Highspeed internet (800kbps)

As for the spywhare stuff I guess this is where I prove to you guys that I'm a newbie :D

The only stuff I have on is the stock windows fire wall and the NVIDIA firewall that came with the drivers...

I take it this is not enough?

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Get hijackthis (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip) from here (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/)

Unzip this file, run it then click on scan and save a log. Copy and paste the log here.

kingdragonfly
13-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing your nvidia firewall is Norton's NIS. At least, that's the CD that was bundled with some nVidia motherboards.

I'm guessing either Norton's / Windows SP2 pop-up blocker is kicking in.

From Internet Explorer 6 SP2:
Tools... Internet Options
"Privacy" tab
uncheck the "Block pop-ups" checkbox (not recommended, by the way)

You'll probably see a Norton's toolbar button make an appearance in Internet Explorer. Click it to configure.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Ah nope the firewall maybe hardware based - NV firewall, which is part of the system (on the mobo). Nvidia dont deal with Nortons firewall. Which is software not hardware based.

As stated here (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=455&l1=3&l2=15&l3=171)

kingdragonfly
13-03-2006, 01:35 PM
NVIDIA firewall that came with the drivers...
This statement threw me off; a Gigabyte nVidia motherboard I just purchased had Norton's NIS as an option of the driver CD, as a 90 day trail.

rerun
13-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Sorry guys to clearify:

Nvidia Forceware: NVFirewall

Thats what its called.

This is the log from Highjackthis:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:44:00 PM, on 12/03/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.ex e
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nTrayFw] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\\nTune.exe" clear
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{1290A33C-85F5-4164-A1BE-7DD299D4986A}] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerBackup\PBKScheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATI DeviceDetect] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Remote Control] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Manager] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\Update Manager\UpdateManager.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\tv\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nvappfilter.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.ex e
O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
O23 - Service: X10 Device Network Service (x10nets) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\ATIMUL~1\RemCtrl\x10nets.exe (file missing)

Thanks a lot.. its a big help.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2006, 02:13 PM
The log looks clean.

Run HJT again and tick these entries and tick fix checked. These arent nasty but dont need to run on startup.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background - If you're running Windows Messenger, I would use something else like MSN messenger.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background - I would run this manually.

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)

O23 - Service: X10 Device Network Service (x10nets) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\ATIMUL~1\RemCtrl\x10nets.exe (file missing)

Is this NV firewall for the net as well? If this has some kind of setting / configuration to allow whatever on the net, this maybe causing the probs you're having.

rerun
13-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Ok I will do that, and yes I am running MSN messenger... Windows messenger is still installed however.

As for the firwall, yes, NV Firewall is for the net too.

As an update on the problem:
A lot of graphics are coming up just a bunch of multicolour scribles, and some are all distorted and layered...
Also, some webpages only come half loaded and this get distorted and just end.. I have a screen shot, but I don't think I can upload images on this forum.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Yup, you can upload images to here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/) copy and paste the link back here.

What program are you downloading files with??

Why this NSIS error comes up all the time.

rerun
13-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks here the screen shot:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ebay.jpg

I'm not using the same program, for example:
If I were to download something off the net and save it, if its an EXE file, then i get the error.. or somtimes it will get 1/2 installed and then i get the error.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Hmm try ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com)

Download it, run it and click on run cleaner.

It'll remove all temp files etc off the hdd.

Is the videocard onboard?? Or is it a AGP/PCI/PCI-E card?

And what version of the drivers are installed?

Have u installed ATI and Nvidia drivers?

Or just one of them??

SolMiester
13-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi guys, speedy has identified your issue rerun...the nvidia forceware firewall is causing your issues.
May i suggest, that as you are a pc newbie as you put it, diasble the nvidia hardware firewall in favour of software alternative like sygate and zone alarm, bothe free and alot easlier for you to get used to before getting into NAT.

Your broadband router probably has a hardware anyway. If you must use the nvidia firewall, i would 1st check for chipset driver updates, then look for a basic config file from which to start.

rerun
14-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I can't download the program because when I do so I get the same error message..

Now some java applets won't work.. it seems to be getting worse..

I hope I can figure this thing out.

rerun
14-03-2006, 04:23 PM
WOW!

Guys I don't know how to thank you enough.. I disabled the NV firewall and was able to run the CCleaner.. Everything works A-1 now.. I'm off to find some better freeware..
Thanks very much!

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Good to hear things are up and running again :) :thumbs:

I'll have to remember not to enable / or figure out how to disable the NV firewall, on the other mobo here. Once I get it up and running.