PDA

View Full Version : networking printers

itsmeguys
12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
hello lads, i need a little help. now, i did a search, but none of the results helped me. the problem:
i have two computers; one has a lexmark 5200 printer on it. it has a d-link wireless router. the other computer has a wireless card thingy, and can onnect to the internet already. now ive gone thru the adding a shared printer wizard and all that crap on windows xp. but iahev no clue as to what to do from there. the printer does not come up. i have windows firewall disabled, and use pc-cillin 2006 (on computer with printer). can anyone help me or point me to a good tutorial?
thanks for your help

roddy_boy
12-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Are you running XP on both machines?

Have you run the Home/Office network wizard, and turned file and printer and sharing on on both computers? And on the same work group?

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Also go to control panel / printers and faxes (If u use XP). Highlight the printer / right mouse / sharing. And select share this printer.

itsmeguys
13-03-2006, 08:55 PM
ok guys you must have missed what i said. i said that i have gone through the windows xp set up thingy, and ive done the right click the printer and select sharing.

Kame
13-03-2006, 10:21 PM
How does the printer connect to the computer? (cable/interface?)

Does PC-Cillin have a firewall, if so, configure it or at least disable it for the mean time.

From the other computer, you should go to the printer folder and add printer, you'd then select network printer, and hopefully you'll be able to find the printer listed, if not, then it's got to do with something being blocked. Have you updated Windows? There were some problems with some interfaces, like USB2 devices being blocked by the firewall, etc.

Cheers,

KK

Billy T
13-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I have 3 printers networked to five computers and the only thing I had to do that nobody has mentioned yet was load the printer drivers onto each computer so that they could select which one they wanted to print to. After that I think I had to do something to enter the address of the computer that was acting as the host.

Anyway, I'm no expert but I found it all pretty easy and it works fine.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

roddy_boy
13-03-2006, 11:25 PM
For clarification, comp1 = computer with printer, and comp2 = the other one.

If, on comp2, you type \\comp1, can you see all the shared folders etc, and more specifically, the printer? If you get an access denied error, this would imply an incorrectly configured network/firewall. If you can see the folders but not the printer, then it's the printer sharing gone wrong.

Kame
14-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey Billy T,

That's quite true, that was not mentioned, although on XP, it can store the driver (for different OS and not just XP) in which for networking, the driver for that computer will be installed on adding the printer from the network, though might be slower to do over the network.

Actually if you get Access Denied then it's User Permission settings in which that User who's trying to access the printer does not exist in the User list nor is allow on the other computer, that is also something that may need to be set up on that computer. Having the same user/password on each computer.

You'll usually get stopped dead in your tracks trying to view the other computers contents if it were a firewall and guest user wasn't allowed.

Cheers,

KK