PDA

View Full Version : Usernames...

techiekid
11-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Is it possible to change our usernames?

Greg
11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
It's probably easier to simply create a new one.

lazydog
11-03-2006, 09:09 AM
This is my third username since i joined in 2000. I had to keep signing up with a new name cause of log in problems a couple of times.
You lose all of your points(?) but you get a new name.
Very hard to think up a new name now that we're a world wide forum.
Still like to change mine again though.

C'mon mods, is there a(nother) way?

FoxyMX
11-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I am sure the mods have far better things to do with their time than having to change people's usernames every five minutes, if they are able to.

Like Greg says, just create a new account.

lazydog
11-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah, i'm sure they have :lol:

Greven
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
or they could change the site so that people can change their own usernames. I'm sure the primary key is a UID number rather than the username.

personthingy
11-03-2006, 10:10 AM
You must tear down your entire techiekid empire and start again with all the trappings of a bran new and unrecognised username..

Burn the buildings and the empire you worked so hard as techiekid to create.

Such entering a brave new world such as this is something that should not be taken on lightly for without the familiarity of your old name, you may indeed be confused with a NOOB :groan: :waughh: :yuck:

But be assured, there is hope and a future for your new identity as you grow from techiekid to whateveryounextchoosetobe.

Your braver than i would be!

The_End_Of_Reality
11-03-2006, 10:47 AM
You must tear down your entire techiekid empire and start again with all the trappings of a bran new and unrecognised username..

Burn the buildings and the empire you worked so hard as techiekid to create.

Such entering a brave new world such as this is something that should not be taken on lightly for without the familiarity of your old name, you may indeed be confused with a NOOB :groan: :waughh: :yuck:

But be assured, there is hope and a future for your new identity as you grow from techiekid to whateveryounextchoosetobe.

Your braver than i would be! LOL :lol: nicely put thingy :D

I have often thought of changing, but then it is like starting life again to a small extent

bob_doe_nz
11-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Rhubarb Man can do it for ya!

Mary
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
vBulletin doesn't allow you to change your own username, at least not without a tweak. Although you have your own ID the system does seem to be linked to the username specifically.
Its easiest if you recreate your account.

Mary
11-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Bruce has other things to do just like I do, he may do it if there is a bribe involved ;)

Biggles
11-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I have been known to change usernames on request. As Mary says, it isn't included in the user controls for Vbulletin and we don't want to go making any code tweaks that mess up the ability to roll out VB updates. Can't we all remember the old F1 we we could update anything because it was heavily customised?

Anyone who wants a name change may PM the request to me and I might do it, when I'm feeling happy and the wind is blowing from the right direction.

personthingy
11-03-2006, 11:24 AM
vBulletin doesn't allow you to change your own username, at least not without a tweak. Although you have your own ID the system does seem to be linked to the username specifically.
Its easiest if you recreate your account.I'm glad of this. If changing ones username could be done at the drop of a hat, then this space would become a haven for trolls and the such like...

Atleast with the current system, if we choose to be obnoxious, we have to do it as ourselves, not as username-till-lunchtime, so there is something remotely like responcibility for our own actions.

SurferJoe46
11-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Bruce...does this: "Anyone who wants a name change may PM the request to me and I might do it, when I'm feeling happy and the wind is blowing from the right direction." include if there's the smell of curry on the wind?

Biggles
11-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Fortunately my PC is without smellovision, so it isn't a factor.

Laura
11-03-2006, 07:14 PM
If you change any, Bruce, will the rest of us be told?

Or will we be kept wondering thatever happened to so-and-so, unless the new-name new posts give us clues?

(There are still a few "old forums" posters I've not identified among the many name changes made during it's last re-birth. It'd be good to know whether they came back, dumped the forum or their computers - or maybe died..)

pine-o-cleen
11-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Fortunately my PC is without smellovision, so it isn't a factor.
According to this (http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/SPEC/belknap/exhibit2002/smell.htm) website, smell-o-vision actually existed...and was used in a movie theater.

Laura
11-03-2006, 09:37 PM
True - and the fad lasted not much longer than a smell does.

bob_doe_nz
11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Smells linger though, fads do not :p

SurferJoe46
12-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Pine-O...

I actually got to see (hear & feel) the movie "Midway" with my father, who actually was at the battle of Midway. The sounds were powerful and my dad said the impact of the 250 lb. bombs and the muzzle blast of the 8 inch guns on the cruisers and destroyers was real.

I sat there and actually believed I was in the historic battle..and my dad relived it thru the effects. Too bad Sense-A-Round failed so miserably....

Later on, my wife and I sat thru Earthquake and Roller Coaster also in Sense-A-Round and they too were very powerful and realistic.

My personal collection of memorabilia includes two of the scratch-and-sniff cards from Polyester, The Movie..the odor parts are long since dried out and there is no more scent.

My favorite 3-D event was 13 Ghosts. I saw this as a kid in Norfolk Virginia about 1957 or so..and it scared the beejeesus outta me...but then again, I crawled under the seats when the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard Of Oz came on the screen too. I still hate that movie and it's over 50 years ago I first saw...or didn't see it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laura
12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
It's interesting to compare differing impressions of movies seen in childhood.
I loved The Wizard of Oz (though that witch was very scary. She terrified many) and was delighted when repeats started screening on TV a few years ago.
I can still watch it again with no child in sight, humming "We're Off to see the Wizard" happily for hours later.
But for really scary...the "child-friendly" Walt Disney's Bambi is my choice.
It was my very first movie - a big treat for a four-year-old. But when Bambi's mother was killed (in a forest fire?), I cried so much that my embarrassed parents took me home.
And I've still never seen how it ended.