PDA

View Full Version : COMPAQ Question

SurferJoe46
10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Is it normal for a COMPAQ Presario to miss represent the true RAM sizes? :stare:

I got this little fellow running (it was going to be junked....and this was a challenge anyway) and it reported 32 mb RAM at first (after the 98SE install....on another post somewhere here with all the troubles)...anyway....I shut it down and pulled the stick (the old stick said 64 mb on it) and put in a newer 128 mb stick..it reports 64 mb now.

Why the half-value of the real RAM count?

It's kinda fun resurrecting a dinosaur like this one...does anyone here have any experiences with them? (The Presario?)

Amazingly, it's pretty quick with just the crippled RAM it has...but I still don't have the LAN working nor a second drive and a NIC and dual printers and multiple monitors and TweakUI and all the anti-stuff I like...Then it's gonna get slower!...you just watch!

drcspy
10-03-2006, 05:29 PM
nothing to do with being a compaq as such.........i'ts a problem with the motherboard not being able to correctly read/address all the available memory......cant remember the details but it's to do with single/double sided ram

robsonde
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
thats exactly what the issue is.....

newer RAM is what they call double sided ram, this can not be read to full size in older boards.

the real trick is that "double sided ram" is not the same as ram with chips on both sides :-) you can get sticks that only have chips on one side but are double sided ram.

either find some single sided ram or live with a low ram count.

Greven
10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
you can get sticks that only have chips on one side but are double sided ram.

:confused: they are just trying to trick people aren't they? Most people would expect single sided ram to have chips on 1 side, and double sided to have chips on both sides

SurferJoe46
10-03-2006, 05:47 PM
......fooled me!...but that's getting to be pretty easy as I get older.....

see the "46" over there <<<< in my username? That's the year I was born..not 1846, but 1946 :cool:

tweak'e
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
there is also high density ram which can be part of the single/double sided as well. they use less number of chips for same amount of ram. unfortunatly some systems can't read the big chips.