PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Problem - Win 3.11 & 2K Professional

latviangolfer
10-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Had a self-inflicted system crash of my dual-boot Win 3.11 (DOS 6.22) (partition 1 C:\) and Win 2000 Professional (partition 2 D:/). Both operating systems are /were on the same HD and are in working order. Believe the problem is with my boot.ini file residing on C:\. It no longer contains the "instructions" for booting to the DOS based partition; I can only boot-up Windows 2000 Professional. Here is my boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)C:\="Microsoft Windows 3.11" /fastdetect

The last line is my latest attempt at getting partition 1 OS to boot. I do get the screen to select which OS to boot, but only Win 2000 boots when selected or as default. I would be extremely grateful if someone could tell me what the last line(s) should be, if that in fact is the problem. Bottom line, how can I get back to where it was before the system crash?

Both operating systems are on the same HD.
Win 3.11, 1.99 GB, FAT, Healthy, Primary Partition (Partition 1)
Win 2K Professional, 17.09 GB, NTFS, Healthy, Extended Partition Logical Drive (Partition 2).

Lee

KiwiTT_NZ
10-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Have a look here
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/bootini.htm

Graham L
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

It might not like the "C:\" .That's not a "fixed" name. As far as W2k knows, its partition is the C: disk. Such disk identifiers are Windows (or DOS) things and have meaning only after an OS has started. Try just the "\=". (Probably the "/fastdetect" could go too. If 3.11 boots, you could put it back ... but I doubt if it's essential, and it might not be compatible with 3.11).

These ideas are just hypotheses. ;)