PDA

View Full Version : 2 drives - OS and Programs

mejobloggs
10-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Never done this before, so have a question.

I have 2 drives, one with WinXP, and the other with all my files/programs/etc

If I format WinXP drive, I then have to reinstall all the programs. Will their existing data be overwritten? If so, it is a bit of a pain, because then I have to go and apply patches, find mods etc all over again, which kind of negates some of the point of seperating your OS on another drive.

tweak'e
10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
some programs you can simply make a shartcut to and they will work. others simply reinstall and point the installer to the old location and they ussually will pick up all the old data and settings.

kjaada
10-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Why would you need to reformat the drive ???

mejobloggs
10-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Some people do it just because they are bored...

My Win is a bit screwed up. If I right click on a start menu item, and go to 'open in explorer', then explorer.exe crashes, and vanishes. I get a nice view of my desktop, and that is all.

Doesn't really need that much of a reason to do it.

KiwiTT_NZ
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Because so much data is now stored in the registry. If you re-install your OS, you need to re-install apps.

You could have a dual boot setup where

The Windows 98 is one OS and XP is the other. These can be on the primary drive. You then install the programs twice. Once for Windows 98 and Once for Windows XP. However, as the programs data will be the same size for each OS (usually) your will only use same amount of space as if you had one OS.

Some games work only in 98, and some on both and some on 2K/XP only. However you can benchmark games that work on both.