PDA

View Full Version : KDE or Gnome?

John H
10-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Hmmm. Interesting comment in the current Xandros Newsletter:

'The KDE interface used in Xandros has received the full endorsement of Linux's namesake with Torvalds proclaiming "I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE." The debate between Gnome and KDE centers around the balance between simplicity and functionality, with KDE developers taking the position that more functionality is worth a sacrifice in simplicity.

"If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it," said Torvalds of GNOME "I do not use GNOME, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply does not do what I need it to do." '

I have only ever used KDE - what is the reaction to this from Gnome users?

John

dolby digital
10-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Hmmm. Interesting comment in the current Xandros Newsletter:

'The KDE interface used in Xandros has received the full endorsement of Linux's namesake with Torvalds proclaiming "I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE." The debate between Gnome and KDE centers around the balance between simplicity and functionality, with KDE developers taking the position that more functionality is worth a sacrifice in simplicity.

"If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it," said Torvalds of GNOME "I do not use GNOME, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply does not do what I need it to do." '

I have only ever used KDE - what is the reaction to this from Gnome users?

John

I have tended to use Gnome, but my understanding was the KDE was not totally open source which is why Red Hat defaulted to Gnome as their window manager. I'm wondering if Linus has been quoted out of context or one of the Gnome team has upset him.

I use both and as part of the SUSE package KDE has more polish. :2cents:

John H
10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Well, of course he has been quoted by Xandros who use KDE, so it may not be a totally 'bias-free' situation as you hint.

personthingy
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
How can the debate be that clear cut?

To install Evolution and many other programs, one must also install a truckload of Gnome components that the programs are dependant on. So, even for a KDE user such as myself i am usually to some extent a Gnome user, even if only in the background.

One thing i will say is that having both options installed in full tended to lead to problems, so that stops me from experermenting with Gnome till i have a spare machine to try it on.

Myth
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Original quote here.. (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html)

Incidentally, I used to use Gnome for a long time, however changed to kde based on its configurability a while ago, don't think I will change back

dolby digital
10-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Incidentally, I used to use Gnome for a long time, however changed to kde based on its configurability a while ago, don't think I will change back

Don't tell Linus, but I use Icewm and am quite comfortable in it. To be honest, I would have thought that Linus would be more happy at the command line instead of using a GUI. Of course Linus is not your average Linux user (who is he again :D )

Just look at the Bitkeeper debate...

mikebartnz
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I have always preferred KDE to Gnome and Lilo to Grub.

Jen
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I prefer KDE because of the range of options and configurability it gives you. Gnome is very minimalistic and the file manager, Nautilus drives me nuts. In Fedora, I always install both desktop environments and normally check out Gnome to see what improvements have been made. Yet to see anything that would make me change from KDE, but I do keep an open mind about it. :)

SuSE will be changing to Gnome as a default desktop, but KDE will be available and maintained via the OpenSuSE and the community contributors.

John H
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
With Xandros, you don't get the choice apparently Jen. I have seen messages on the Xandros forum saying that people have tried to install Gnome and broken the Xandros installation quite badly.

I used Gnome with Fedora, but that is a while ago, and I cannot recall any details - I think I do recall the option to swap between them. Since then I have only used the 'no-choice' Xandros, so when I saw the quote I wondered what other people thought of the merits of both.

rumpty
10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu on separate partitions, and prefer KDE. Perhaps that is because Mandrake was my introduction to Linux? So in my case it may be just familiarity with KDE.

My fonts are nicer in KDE too. They look sharp and clear without needing anti-aliasing (CRT monitor). Also Kde seems more responsive - just a feeling.

Greven
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I find KDE & gnome to be very similar, but I usually use KDE.