PDA

View Full Version : FTP Help Please

DarkBlade4
08-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi,
I am trying to setup my computer so it's an FTP server. I have used many different programs and right now I am using Quick 'n Easy Ftp Server Lite 3.0. I only need it for transfering files with a few different users. On my own computer I try and log on to it like this: ftp> open 10.0.0.1 . It then comes up with User which I put in. This all works fine but when I try to use my IP address instead of 10.0.0.1 it doesn't. It says for me to input my user name. I do that and then it says 'no password required' when in my program I did put passwords. I then try the 'dir' command and it just comes up with Permission Denied.

Can anyone please help, I really want to set this up.

gibler
08-03-2006, 10:36 PM
10.0.0.1 is a private address read this (http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17)

Is the server setup to use your external ip address (i.e. not 10.0.0.1) correctly?

read this too (http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14)

And read this (http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465)

Post log file...

DarkBlade4
08-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I followed the guides on port forward. The FTP server now works but I cannot access the internet (ie, web browsing) when I make my ip address use one I specified. Also, when I did the ipconfig /all command it says my ip is 10.0.0.1 but that does change when I make it one I specified.

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 12:43 AM
OK. When I try to log on to my own ftp on my own computer it works but when someone else tries it doesn't - This is when i make my computer use a specific IP address(the internet doesn't work when I do this either) . When I was doing the portforwarding thing and it told me to type in 'ipconfig /all' the ipaddress that came up was 10.0.0.1 . In my FTP server program it says my IP is 127.0.0.1 (which is also local host). What do I put in because the instrucions in the portforwarding thing says to get it from ipconfig /all command but it comes up with 10.0.0.1 ?

Graham L
09-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Very often when you have a server accessible to the outside world, you can't use the "outside" address to access it from the machine it's running on. This might not be the trouble. That's more likely to lie in the "ip address I specified". The Internet is fussy about this. You can't specify an Internet address yourself and hope to have it work. You have to have one allocated to you. You can't access the Internet when you do ir yourself because your ISP won't connect you to the Internet using an IP address you specified.

You can give yourself any IP address in the 192.160.x.x and 10.y.y.y ranges for use in a LAN because they are non-routable. They don't get onto the Internet.

The 10.0.0.1 might be the default address of your ADSL modem and/or router. That's the gateway address your computer uses. The external IP address is probably dynamically allocated by your ISP.

I fear that you might have security problems if you do manage to get this server working externally.

impavidus
09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
What Graham says is correct. Contact your isp and get a static IP. Then set up a firewall in conjunction with your ADSL router. Open the FTP ports, and whatever other ports you need. Set your FTP program up,if needed, to the static IP assigned to you by your ISP.

You will also need to change the connection settings in your ADSL router to the new static ip.

// Impavidus

Terry Porritt
09-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I found it best to test an FTP server by using dialup. That way you get a different IP address to that using ADSL, then you can get into it from outside so to speak. But of course that means having 2 computers, and you also have to open port 21.

bob_doe_nz
09-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Try using the program Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc/)
You get assigned and address very much like an ip address which you use to connect to.
Oh and it also works well on ADSL for gaming :thumbs:

Greven
09-03-2006, 12:13 PM
what router are you using?

You will have to open oprt 21 on your software firewall, then go to your router config page (is 10.0.0.1 the address of the router or your computer? That is a common IP address for a router to use) & tell it to forward everything going to port 21 to your computer's IP address.

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't have any firewall software. Where do I find my real IP address? I did use www.whatismyip.com and it came up with an IP address that I used for the port forwarding and it still didn't work. How do I forward everything coming to port 21 to my ip? If I do get this FTP server running what security issue's will I face? I will use the server just with friends so will it still pose a risk from outside hackers?

Terry Porritt
09-03-2006, 12:32 PM
You most definitely need to add security features.

The first would be to deny 'anonymous' ftp, and issue your friends with user ID's and passwords.

Then you do absolutely need a software firewall so that all unauthorised port 21 probes can be rejected.

When I have my ftp server running, which I have to every month in order to retain a 'dyndns.com' account, then if it's left running for a while, almost inevitably there will port probes, mostly from Asian countries. I've had as many as 20 odd over a few hours.

I've got my server set up on a Win98 machine, which is only used infrequently anyway

Greven
09-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I did use www.whatismyip.com and it came up with an IP address that I used for the port forwarding and it still didn't work. How do I forward everything coming to port 21 to my ip?
If your router is anything like mine, you won't need your internet IP address for port forwarding - only your LAN IP address.

If you tell us what brand & model router you have, we can find a guide to help you set everything up properly.

You won't be able to test it yourself once you have it set up - you will have to get one of your friends to go to ftp://youripaddress & see if they can get in.

If you are running windows XP service pack 2, you will probably be running the windows firewall & I think that blocks ftp by default. go to windows firewall in the control pannel

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
I have windows 2000. What free firewall do you guys recommend? I have an Alcatel 530.

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I got hamachi and configured it, now I have another IP from it. I told my friend to try ftp>open ip address but it came up with an error saying 'number error' or something along those lines - this might be a one off situation because off his computer but it might also be the configuration I did. Also, when I use hamachi do I still need to port forward and change the NAPT settings in my router setting to my hamachi IP?

Greven
09-03-2006, 08:25 PM
I would reccomend Kerio Personal Firewall.

make your local IP address a static IP to make things easier.

As for setting up port forwarding, I'm going off the manual at http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/pdf/Manuals/510-530-516-536-546/v4/E-SIT-CTC-20030306-0003_v3.0_public.pdf

Go to your router config webpage, and go to napt under advanced. create a new napt entry with your local IP address: port 21 as the inside address, and unspecified: port 21 as the outside address

Most people use their web browser as a ftp client, so get someone to test it with IE & firefox.

Hamachi could complicate things. it will probably need it's own port forwarding rule, but once set up, you won't have to set up any more port forwarding rules for people on your vpn.

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I can't find my local IP though. It just comes up with 10.0.0.1 when I use ipconfig /all command in CMD.

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 10:15 PM
The main problem I am having is finding my local ip address, using the ipconfig /all command it just comes up with 10.0.0.1(is this a valid local IP?). I need to know the local ip address so i can do the port forwarding setup. Then, once that is done i think the FTP server will work.

bob_doe_nz
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I got hamachi and configured it, now I have another IP from it. I told my friend to try ftp>open ip address but it came up with an error saying 'number error' or something along those lines - this might be a one off situation because off his computer but it might also be the configuration I did. Also, when I use hamachi do I still need to port forward and change the NAPT settings in my router setting to my hamachi IP?
BOTH computers must use Hamachi for it to work. Otherwise you'd end up pinging someone else.

DarkBlade4
09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I won't use hamachi then, all I think I need to do is find my local ip. Then i can continue the port forward process and then it should work, shouldn't it? How do I find my local ip when it always comes up as 10.0.0.1 with ipconfig? Using the ip I found at www.whatismyip.com doesn't work, my internet just turns off when I use that one.

Greven
10-03-2006, 08:09 AM
10.0.0.1 is a valid local IP. what is the ip of your router just out of curiosity?

DarkBlade4
10-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I think 10.0.0.138. But if I do make the static IP 10.0.0.1 in my LAN Settings then how will that IP work? It will always show up as 10.0.0.1 and people won't be able to connect to it.

Terry Porritt
10-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I think there is some confusion going on here, which can only be cleared up with a bit of reading.

I would go into Network Connections and manually set your IP address. Use the modem/router manual to find out its gateway IP address and put that in the Network Connections.

Then when you run ipconfig it will just tell you that information and also the subnetmask you will have set, such as 255.255.255.0

Then somewhere in your modem/router setup will be hopefully a port forwarding or 'virtual server' option for you to specify port 21 with ftp protocoll to open with the local IP address of you computer.

In my case I have 5 or 6 computers networked, with just one with an ftp server. When I want to run the server I just create a 'virtual server' in my Dynalinkmodem/router using the local IP address 192.168.1.6 for the computer concerned. Then that is the only computer that is open to the outside via port 21.

Greven
10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
if I do make the static IP 10.0.0.1 in my LAN Settings then how will that IP work? It will always show up as 10.0.0.1 and people won't be able to connect to it.
the 10.0.0.whatever addresses are only for your local network (You & your router). Your computer isn't directly connected to the internet - it has to ask the router to do everything for it & the router sends the information back. When people see your ip address on the internet, that is actually your router, not your computer.

Napt allows data that your computer didn't ask for to be sent to it anyway if it is going to port 21 so that port 21 on your computer is directly connected to the internet (using your router's internet IP address).

if that was as clear as dishwater, think of it this way: nobody needs to know that your ip address is 10.0.0.1 - you give them your internet IP address & your router does the rest.

DarkBlade4
10-03-2006, 09:59 PM
So what number do I put in the LAN settings(do i even need to change this?)??? And what number do I put in the NAPT settings (is it the IP i found on whatismyip.com?)? Sorry for being such a nag but I still don't completely get it. Since it comes up with 10.0.0.1 do I still need to port forward, it says so in the FTP server program.

DarkBlade4
10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I asked my friend to try and log on but it didn't work after I set my napt settings like this: Inside ip: 'the address i found on whatismyip.com' and the outside ip as: 0.0.0.0 and my inside and outside port as 21

Greven
11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
inside ip should be 10.0.0.1 & outside IP should be unspecified.

DarkBlade4
11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Do i change the LAN settings?

ughnz
11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Ok you can use something like dyndns.org and have users connect to that which will get around the dynamic IP issue.

Then all you need to do is forward port 21 to the IP address of the PC running your FTP server.

Be carefull of passive ftp as it can cause problems with some routers.

Also check that your ftp server can be "blind" with ip addresses as it may get a bit upset with some clients using ip addresses with the port command.

If you have a good router then it may take care of the ip address issues with the port command.

Greven
12-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Do i change the LAN settings?
if your ip address is always 10.0.0.1, then you should be fine without changing your LAN settings.

Graham L
12-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I have a horrible feeling that if you ever get this FTP server going your computer will very quickly "owned" by one of the many nasties out there.

Why don't you and your friends get Googlemail accounts, and send files as attachments? This would be much safer than FTP. It's not a very secure file transfer system ... it didn't need to be when it was produced.

You really need to know a lot more about TCP/IP and networking before you put a server on the Internet.

Greven
12-03-2006, 02:55 PM
It'll be fine. I've been running an insecure ftp server for ages & I haven't been "owned" - I even posted the address in a few public forums. Security through obscurity should be enough to save you. A dynamic IP can be a pain in the ass, but it means your ftp server will be more secure.

DarkBlade4
12-03-2006, 03:12 PM
ok, i've set my NAPT settings to 10.0.0.1. When my friend tries to connect it just says he was connected but then it says the connection was closed by the remote host.

Greven
12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
ok, i've set my NAPT settings to 10.0.0.1. When my friend tries to connect it just says he was connected but then it says the connection was closed by the remote host.
I wouldn't worry about it as long as he can still download stuff you have on the server.

Some ftp servers don't like web browsers - I use guildftpd because it is quick & easy to set up, but it doesn't work very well with any browser other than Internet Explorer.

DarkBlade4
12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
But he can't do anything, it says the two messages one after the other. He can't even browse or download.

Kame
13-03-2006, 09:39 PM
You don't want to switch to what I believe a much better FTP server?

Filezilla FTP Server (their client is good too)... http://filezilla.sf.net/ It's free and open source.

I think Linux is easier for setting up FTP than on Windows, though I didn't have much trouble doing it on Windows either, but I do suggest Filezilla for Windows, easy to use and I think it has automatic IP detection, though I haven't used it in a long time, so I'm not sure about that.

On your router, you have to setup port forwarding/server, something along those lines. You must make sure that your computer IP 10.0.0.1 (is that correct by the way? That's not the router is it?) And that TCP is allowed on port 21, also might pay to enable port 20. You'll then have to make sure that your firewall doesn't interfere.

Cheers,

KK

Greven
13-03-2006, 09:48 PM
why does the ftp server need to know your ip address? it just takes all data going to the port it is running on. the server I use (guildftpd) doesn't need to know your IP address.

He has repeated his ip addresses enough times in this thread that I believe that the IP addresses are correct & his router has some very unusual default settings.

it would make these sort of things easier if all consumer grade modems/routers standardised their default settings. I've seen most default to 192.168.1.1, some to 10.0.0.1, the free xtra ones default to 10.1.1.1 if I recall correctly & now I've found one that doesn't even default to *.*.*.1. There was one other router one of my friends had that defaulted to another IP, but I can't remember the brand or default IP address.

DarkBlade4
14-03-2006, 08:53 PM
My router's address is 10.0.0.138 . I'm not setting the ip in my FTP server it just has an option that says "What is my ip?" and when I click it, it says 127.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 After I set my NAPT setting to 10.0.0.1 for inside address and ports to 21 my friend still couldn't connect.

Greven
14-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Did your friend try a few differnt ftp clients? your server might just be a bit fussy

Kame
14-03-2006, 10:19 PM
To answer Greven,

Unless you setup your computer's FTP to listen to all connections to port 21, then there's no need, but you can make your FTP listen off certain IPs as to limit who can connect to you, e.g. if you set it up for your localhost IP 127.0.0.1 then only from your computer could you connect to it, no point really other than testing, but in cases where you run multiple NICs connected to different networks, you may only want to allow certain groups to connect to your FTP.

You wouldn't mind posting your FTP logs?

Have you tried connecting to your FTP too? did it work.

What is your router?

Because of that IP, I'm wondering whether it's an ethernet connection, or you're using a USB Modem.

I know I came into this thread too late, but there's just so much information to sift through, so I do apologise for any repeats.

Cheers,

KK

DarkBlade4
15-03-2006, 09:28 PM
I could connect to my own FTP but that's about it. I have an Alcatel Speedtouh 530 and it's connected using USB. Using the ipconfig /all command I get 10.0.0.1 . I set my router NAPT settings to port 21 inside and outside, the inside ip to 10.0.0.138 (i tried 10.0.0.1 as well) and outside to 0.0.0.0 and my friend still couldn't get it to work. I'll ask my friend to use a different FTP client to connect, he was using IE before.

Kame
15-03-2006, 11:31 PM
OK, well for Port Forwarding on USB, don't set an "Inside IP", leave it "blank". "Port 21" for both inside and outside "TCP" Ports and the "Outside IP" should be "0.0.0.0"

I think the reason for setting no inside ip is because USB works off a host computer, and doesn't follow networking but more a USB standard to delivering the data, only if the host computer was not the FTP server, would you set the inside IP so that it's directed correctly.

Make sure your FTP Server runs passive (PASV) mode and is forced to use the network IP of the computer if that's possible too.

And yea, do make sure he uses a proper FTP client, else he may want to try setting PASV mode in IE as well in Internet Options (somewhere, sorry haven't used IE in ages).

Cheers,

KK

DarkBlade4
17-03-2006, 06:23 PM
A tracert command of my ip comes up with SpeedTouch.vic.bigpond.net.au[ip here] . Do i leave the PASV settings in the FTP configuration to default? I didn't change the LAN settings.

TiJay
18-03-2006, 04:02 AM
I don't have time to read all through the 3 pages, so if someone already said this - cool if not, here goes:

Windows XP with SP2 has a few security patches...it won't let you scratch your ass without special permissions, and using only the left elbow. I have an FTP site here at my office, with all of my XP workstations, I have to put in the internal IP address, but with my NT based platforms, the external IP works just the same. Rest assured, if you are outside of your network and put in the external IP address, it will work.

This is just another way of saying MICROSOFT SUCKS

Have a nice day.