PDA

View Full Version : Distance vs Speed of the Cat5e cable?

Groovvy
08-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi, I was thinking of running an ethernet (cat5e) cable from my Router from ground floor to the first floor and the distance comes to approximately 20meters of Cat5e.

Now i was just wondering if im on 2Mbps connection ADSL how much would my speed vary for upstairs computer?

Assuming Im cabling along the walls and it doesnt have any other major interference like TV or radio (if those things interfere at all).

Thanx...

tweak'e
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
2Mbps net connection on a 100Mbps lan......absolutely no slowdown what so ever.

the only slow down is if both pc's are useing the net at the exact same time, the 2Mbps will be shared between them.

Groovvy
08-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Cool thanx. I thought there would be slow down because of distance. I guess now i will run the cable into another room as well which comes to 30Meters. :)
lol

CYaBro
08-03-2006, 11:11 AM
CAT5e cable is supposed to able to work up to 100m without loss in speed at 100Mbps.

kingdragonfly
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Interesting article, talks about some TCP/IP performance stuff including Gigabit and PCIe.

"Home Media: Building a Media Network, Part I"
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1151593,00.asp?rsDis=Building_a_Media_Netwo rk,_Part_I-Page008-33015

"We easily ran four 3.5Mbits/sec video streams (14Mbits/sec total load) over the 100Base-T network, and all four streams' playback remained smooth as silk. We also ran three video streams and began copying an MPEG-2 file from the server to the fourth client, and again, the three video streams' playback remained unaffected. We did see some very brief stuttering when the file I/O began, but once initiated, the video streams went back to playing smoothly."

Jimmy D
08-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Just make sure when you run the cat5 cable that you dont run it along side any electrical wiring such as TPS (the white stuff) because it causes electromagnetic Interference and could cause problems

Groovvy
08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Whats TPS?
But along the CAT5e im also running a 4 core Alarm cable (max Voltage = 12 V)
The 4 core cable connect to a 2 sensors (PIR's). Would that be a problem?

Graham L
08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. DC doesn't radiate much. :cool:

TPS (or any other) mains cable isn't really a problem; most people keep their signal cables away from the mains ones. Clean 230V 50Hz isn't going to bother the twisted pairs of CAT5, anyway, Ethernet is an RF system. Noisy mains operated devices can cause problems. It is a Bad Idea to run your cables through fluorescent light fittings, or close to arc welders. :D

tweak'e
08-03-2006, 03:20 PM
most people keep their signal cables away from the mains ones try telling that to sparkys !

if i remeber correctly there is a legal minimum distance but i don't think i have ever seen anyone do it to that.

Jimmy D
08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
lol i used to be an electrical worker and yeah there are some dodgy sparky's out there haha

SurferJoe46
08-03-2006, 04:10 PM
One thing is certain, if you must run with your housepower alongside the CAT5E, just make sure to leave about a foor or so distance between them...and another thing, always cross cables that might induce signals at a 90 degree angle to each other...more obtuse crossings leave more exposed fields to each other...

..but ....CAT5E is rf signal, and the freq of your 50 hertz stuff :lol: is 'way too low to interfere anyway. Heat induction is another story if you are pulling some really big amps thru the 240volt stuff..but you gotta be upwards of 200 amps or more.

I still wonder about using 240volt in a household for common things like toasters and lightbulbs...seems a little overkill to me...but I am just used to 120v/60Hz household power ratings and leaving the 240v stuff for heavy appliances, air conditioning and arcwelding and such. 240 seems a little dangerous for small kids and animals who might chew a wire to a lamp or a tv.

Asking here: do you get your 240 thru 2 legs or on a single leg?

We get two 120 legs (A&B) and send them as a single pair to things that need 240v.

Graham L
08-03-2006, 04:34 PM
240 seems a little dangerous for small kids and animals who might chew a wire to a lamp or a tv.They only do it once. :D