PDA

View Full Version : PC Hangs pls Help!!

snookstar
06-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi I have recently just turned my computer off and moved it and when I tried to turn it back on it just hangs there at the startup saying press esc to boot to bios. I left it at that screen just in case it was just really slow. So then I tried booting to bios and it just hangs on the next screen. It sounds like a hardware prob but I havent changed anything. just moved it. Anyone have any Ideas? Its a p4 2ghz 264mb ram, running XP Pro.
cheers

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Check the power cables in the case.

If u use SATA, these cables can come out sometimes, if u move the case around.

snookstar
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
thanks for your reply but all the cables are in and connected proper. Just I have no idea whats goin on. it just hangs and sits there. Any other ideas? thanks again

pctek
06-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Check everything in the PC is seated correctly, push all the cables in tight, reseat RAM and graphics.

bartsdadhomer
06-03-2006, 02:31 PM
If you're using PS2 keybd & mouse, check you haven't bent any of the pins on the mouse/ keybd connectors (look hard, sometimes it's hard to spot a pin bent hard against the outer casing)
Also check the pins on the monitor cable
You do have the mouse/keybd connectors in the right places (green 2 green, purple 2 purple?)

snookstar
06-03-2006, 02:48 PM
well I have a usb mouse and the keyboard looks fine (going into the right socket). and I can see the display screen so the moniter must be plugged in and working fine right?
cheers Luke

thanks for your help!

kingdragonfly
06-03-2006, 03:35 PM
On some motherboards, BIOS settings are kept alive with a battery. If it was knocked loose / died, it would reset to factory default settings.

The BIOS setting for the USB keyboard / mouse may have been reset.

Might want to borrow a non-USB keyboard and mouse.