PDA

View Full Version : OK.. I'm having a stupid day or something.

qyiet
06-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a PC I want to re-install windows XP on.

I can boot off the Windows CD and do the first part of the install no problems. Destroying all partitions, letting windows recreate and format a nice new NTFS partition.

Then I reboot and get an insert boot disk error.

I double checked the BIOS the HDD is set to boot before the CDROM, and I even tried setting the HDD to be the *only* boot device.

The HDD in question seems to work fine when I boot from a CD (eg with knoppix) I can transfer data from it fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Qyiet

pctek
06-03-2006, 10:29 AM
You reboot or the install process does? If you, let it do itself. If its Windows, check the drive is primary master.

qyiet
06-03-2006, 10:31 AM
I let windows do the reboot, and the drive is definatly the primary master :(

bartsdadhomer
06-03-2006, 11:13 AM
The CDROM will have to be the first boot device and stay that way till the installation is finished, then you can change the HD to the first boot option

qyiet
06-03-2006, 11:15 AM
The CDROM will have to be the first boot device and stay that way till the installation is finished, then you can change the HD to the first boot optionDid it... in fact I set it to the *only* boot option :(

Still no go

-Qyiet

Greg
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Faulty CDROM disk?

qyiet
06-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Faulty CDROM disk?Could be... Will try again with a different drive, and CD.

Seems weird that knoppix boot happily though if it was the drive.

-Qyiet

bartsdadhomer
06-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Did it... in fact I set it to the *only* boot option :(

Still no go

-Qyiet
But above you said

I double checked the BIOS the HDD is set to boot before the CDROM, and I even tried setting the HDD to be the *only* boot device.

Greg
06-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Seems weird that knoppix boot happily though if it was the drive.

Was referring to the disk, not the drive.

Let us know how you get on.

qyiet
06-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Sorry.. I only set it the only boot device after it was onto the part of the install where you reboot, and boot off the HDD.. and then only after it failed to continue.

Trying again now with an additional CD Drive, and winXP CD.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.. will let you know how I get on.

For reference.

IDE1 -- > 120GB Seagate HDD Master
|-> [empty]
IDE2 -- > CD-ROM Master
|-> [empty]

Current Boot Order = FDD -> CD-ROM -> HDD

qyiet
06-03-2006, 01:07 PM
New CD-ROM Drive, new WinXP Disc, Same problem.

Order of operations this time was:
1)Boot off winXP CD
2)Remove all partitions
3)allow windows to create a partition (all default)
4)Format with NTFS
5)Install on new partition Wait for install to ask for reboot
6)Remove CD (at the point it requests remove floppy so it won't boot off it)
7)Insert boot disc (at this point it should be booting off the HDD to start the GUI part of the windows install process)

This is weird.

-Qyiet

Greven
06-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Are you running it on an oldish computer & used to have ontrack or something to make it recognise the hard drive?

Terry Porritt
06-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I had a somewhat similar problem in a way, a little while ago after installing a DVD writer. Computer was hanging at waiting to boot from CD instead of booting from HDD. Sometimes it would boot from HDD, other times it would hang.

It turned out to be a BIOS setting.

Problem is I can't remember now what the problem in the BIOS was exactly, ( :blush: ) but it was resolved by loading BIOS optimised defaults.

qyiet
06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Are you running it on an oldish computer & used to have ontrack or something to make it recognise the hard drive?Nope.... well depends on your definition of old.. but nothing that should have needed ontrack. It's a Pentium IV about 2GHz.. I might see if I can dig up an IDE controller.. see if I can get it to boot off that.

I'll double check that windows auto partitioning got it right too, and set it active.. there was data on the drive when I started.. so I guess it could be screwing up. (although I'm damned if I know how).

-Qyiet

qyiet
06-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I had a somewhat similar problem in a way, a little while ago after installing a DVD writer. Computer was hanging at waiting to boot from CD instead of booting from HDD. Sometimes it would boot from HDD, other times it would hang.

It turned out to be a BIOS setting.

Problem is I can't remember now what the problem in the BIOS was exactly, ( :blush: ) but it was resolved by loading BIOS optimised defaults.Thanks Terry, it was worth a go, (there was nothing in the bios on this PC that needed to be optimisied) but still no luck.

Huge thanks again to everyone so far. (still have to try what I said I would do in the last post)

-Qyiet

qyiet
06-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh.. further to greven's comment about ontrack.. the BIOS reports a matching HDD size to what I expected to be reported.. so we *should* be fine there.

Hmm.. FDISK reported "unable to access drive one" and the HDD light locks on.

I really want to try another IDE controller.. however the one I thought I had spare I can't find.. I'm going to try the HDD in another machine.

I'm suspecting the IDE controller more and more now.

-Qyiet

pctek
06-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm suspecting the IDE controller more and more now.

-Qyiet
IDE controller??? Its not plugged straight into the MB? If it is, try putting on the secondary IDE slot.

qyiet
06-03-2006, 02:05 PM
It *is* plugged straight onto the motherboard.. sorry I was using IDE controller in the same way I would use graphics card when refering to the onboard video.

Thanks for the idea though.. I'll try it on the secondary IDE channel.

-Qyiet