PDA

View Full Version : Automatic shutdown after download?

colmack
06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
If you are restricted to dial-up internet connection, it would be quite nice to be able to go to bed if a download takes a lot longer than expected!

Is there a setting which is something like "Shutdown on completion of download" (XP, Home Edition)?

Alternatively, is it possible to Shut Down (not just hibernate) after a set period of time?

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2006, 09:28 AM
No, I dont think so.

You'll need a 3rd party program, ie: getright or other to do this.

tweak'e
06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
use a decent download manager. most good ones have "shutdown when download complete"

trry getright :)

drcspy
06-03-2006, 09:36 AM
is it possible to Shut Down (not just hibernate) after a set period of time

yes

however a download manager is better cause you can usually 'resume' the download from whereever it cut off.......handy if the isp cuts you off or the cat chews thru the phone line.....

lazydog
06-03-2006, 06:26 PM
If you dont want to use a download manager (which are very good at what they do by the way) then you could use bob_doe_nz's shut down program from here (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/tony.lee.at.home/downloads/shutdown/shutdown.html)

colmack
06-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks a heap, lazydog, that little program's great. I was actually making the enquiry on behalf of a friend, but I've just downloaded it myself :)

lazydog
06-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks a heap, lazydog, that little program's great. I was actually making the enquiry on behalf of a friend, but I've just downloaded it myself :)
Yep it's a beaut program alright. I use it myself. :thumbs:

Bob_doe_nz is a forum member here so if theres anything you want to ask him about it give him a shout.

bob_doe_nz
06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
dum dee doo :rolleyes:

lazydog
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
dum dee doo :rolleyes:

I beat you to it. Was your finger busy :D

bob_doe_nz
07-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Nah, I just didnt want to say anything in case my program wasnt what they wanted.

I mean, yes it was. I had it up my nose.