PDA

View Full Version : Is this a PSU problem?

JJJJJ
05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
I am trying to solve a problem and am leading towards a underpowered or faulty PSU.
When playing with MS Flight Simulator I am getting a lot of hesitations and stuttering. Sometimes the program stops for two or three seconds and at others it just moves with jerky movements.
This only hapens when I am flying over heavily buit up areas of addon scenery. fps drop to 8 to 14. Normaly it is steady on the locked rate of 25 fps.
I am told that photo-realistic scenery is very hard on system resources, but this seems to be just too much.

Could the PSU cause this problem? I have a "no name" 350 watt psu that gives no trouble with anything else.

joshjnz
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I doubt it's your psu. What's your system specs?

JJJJJ
05-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Asus K8N-E DeLuxe Motherboard
AMD 64 3200+ PSU
2 gigs low latency ram.
Running XP , SP2

Shouldn't be low on resources.

kingdragonfly
06-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I doubt it's a power supply problem too. What video card are you running and at what resolution?

Greg
06-03-2006, 09:55 AM
What video card? If it has a fan, is it working? The symptom is similar to a problem I had when a vid card I was using overheated.

JJJJJ
06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
What video card? If it has a fan, is it working? The symptom is similar to a problem I had when a vid card I was using overheated.

A Gigabyte/Radeon. x800xl. 256 megs.No fan. Temp always in low 60's.

Trev
06-03-2006, 01:21 PM
When FS is stuttering is your hard drive running. My FS stutters when it is accessing the hard drive. Defragging your HD can also help eliminate the stutters.

Trevor :)

JJJJJ
06-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes

Greg
07-03-2006, 11:52 AM
You might want to check what other applications you have running in the background. Something might have crept in which is degrading resources.

But, if you're running a vid card that doesn't require a fan of it's own (I don't know the model you've got) it kinda suggests it may be underpowered, and that's where the problem lies?

Jester
07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Turn down the density of add on scenery, terrain, clouds, etc etc in the settings, then load up a saved flight and retest, turning each one up a bit till you get stutters, then go back a notch.

It would be fair to say that most of us who use FS get stutters - usually for me it's a case of changing a setting (just to make it look better) and having to go back one step.

I understand that Jack has an AMD 64 3200+ with 2 gigs of ram and a Raedon x800xl, so that shoudn't be the issue.

Did you do what was suggested on the Godzone forum?

JJJJJ
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
You might want to check what other applications you have running in the background. Something might have crept in which is degrading resources.

But, if you're running a vid card that doesn't require a fan of it's own (I don't know the model you've got) it kinda suggests it may be underpowered, and that's where the problem lies?

Three months ago my vid card was the fastest available.
Though it doesnt have a fan it has a monstrous heat sink