PDA

View Full Version : Set up Boot from cd rom

1Pukeko
05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey,

As my pc wont boot from cd, ive opened the advanced BIOS feature to set it up.Before I change anything I thought i'd better ask first as Im a little confused on what the following means.

Anti-virus protection - Disabled
(I have AVG running so no idea what thats reffering to)

hard disk S.M.A.R.T - Disabled
Halt on keyboard error - Disabled
HT CPU Function - Disabled

And in Selected Boot Sequence menu

1st. IDE-0:ST380011A
2nd. CD/ DVD
3rd Floppy
(What does the first one stand for?)

Having to deal with any technical issues makes me nervous, no matter how simple they are :dogeye:

Mike
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
1st. IDE-0:ST380011A
2nd. CD/ DVD
3rd Floppy
(What does the first one stand for?)

Having to deal with any technical issues makes me nervous, no matter how simple they are :dogeye:The first one is your hard drive. Change the first option to say CD/DVD, and the second option to say IDE-0:ST380011A. This just changes the boot order - currently your hard drive boots first. You want it to try to boot from CD first and if a bootable CD isn't found then it'll boot from your hard drive.

Don't touch anything else if you don't know what you're doing ;)

HTH

Mike.

STi
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I believe first one stand for a seagate hard drive.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM
The anti virus option in the BIOS is for the bootblock of the hdd. It has nothing to do with protecting programs, within windows, once you're in windows.

Its usually disabled.

The 1st option 1st. IDE-0:ST380011A is the hdd by the looks of it, you need to press - or + (these are the keys u press on these systems, it maybe different to yours), so it shows 2nd. CD/ DVD as 1st. (Dont forget to save the BIOS settings, after you change the boot order).

Then you should be able to boot from the cd, if you're going to reinstall windows.

And these

hard disk S.M.A.R.T - Disabled - dont worry about this. It doesnt matter if its disabled or enabled.

Halt on keyboard error - Disabled - This means if the PS/2 plug is out it'll stop and tell you.

HT CPU Function - Disabled - This, unless you've got an hyperthreading CPU /processor, this can be enabled if you want it. BUT this option (if you do have a CPU, which supports hyperthreading SHOULD be enabled, BEFORE windows 2000, or XP gets installed.

tweak'e
05-03-2006, 10:53 AM
hard disk S.M.A.R.T - Disabled Enable it. it can tell you the hardrive is goingto fail.

Halt on keyboard error - Disabled Enable it, i ussuall set it to halt on all errors as it handy to find out their is a plug loose before you boot up fully.

Anti-virus protection - Disabled Enable it. pays to have it off for installing OS otherwise it can be handy. its only a basic check to to stop a virus attacking the bios. not related to any antivirus you may have installed.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
hard disk S.M.A.R.T - Disabled Enable it. it can tell you the hardrive is going to fail

If the hdd supports it that is. No point enabling it, if it doesnt.

Halt on keyboard error - Disabled Enable it, i usually set it to halt on all errors as it handy to find out their is a plug loose before you boot up fully.

True I spose.

Anti-virus protection - Disabled Enable it. pays to have it off for installing OS otherwise it can be handy. its only a basic check to to stop a virus attacking the bios. not related to any antivirus you may have installed.

Not quite right, it doesnt protect the BIOS from a virus. It checks the bootblock of a hdd, and more often than not, it can give false-positives and stop a hdd from booting.

If a virus was made to kill a BIOS, (there are some around), this option wouldnt stop it. It'll kill it, and make the system a doorstop.

pctek
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM

And what sort of rubbish HDD doesn't?

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
And what sort of rubbish HDD doesn't?

Well, I spose it depends how old it is, on whether the mobo/system supports it or not.

tweak'e
05-03-2006, 11:46 AM
even it dosn't support it, it shouldn't hurt to have it enabled.

Not quite right, it doesnt protect the BIOS from a virus. It checks the bootblock of a hdd, and more often than not, it can give false-positives and stop a hdd from booting.

If a virus was made to kill a BIOS, (there are some around), this option wouldnt stop it. It'll kill it, and make the system a doorstop. i stand corrected :) however i havn't seen it stop a HDD from booting, unless there is a partition/format change. you have to turn it off to do some of the partitioning/formating changes.

Mike
05-03-2006, 11:52 AM
And what sort of rubbish HDD doesn't?Quite a few HDDs don't support it. I've got a couple here that don't support SMART, and I have a feeling that if you enable SMART checking on a drive that doesn't support it it'll throw up errors... can't remember though ;)

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2006, 11:52 AM
even it dosn't support it, it shouldn't hurt to have it enabled.

Thats true too. Altho, if the hdd doesnt support it, and you enable it, how would you know when its failing?

You can get programs that can tell you, but then if the hdd doesnt support it anyway, whats the point?

You wont know its dying, failing, or dead, until its completely dead :lol:

A bit late then, to think about replacing it. (If you want to get files off it).

tweak'e
05-03-2006, 12:03 PM
how many people actually know IF it supports it ? most don't, just turn it on and if it works it works. you will still do the normall precautions because a drive can still die suddenly without SMART noticing any errors.

SMART helps but its not a replacement for doing backups.