PDA

View Full Version : Hints on loading XP Pro

Neil McC
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
The boy has decided to load XP on his 800Mhz P3, 512Mb of ram, PC, Win 98SE. After I've installed XP which I've streamlined with SP2, what are the drivers I need to load ? Apart from programs, of course.
I've downloaded the Lucent Win Modem drivers,Via drivers for the motherbd,and I think the graphics card drivers will already be loaded with XP?

I'm also installing a USB 2 card, as I spent 3 hours the other night saving stuff off of it to my external hard drive, which then took me quarter of an hour to load on my pc!
Might have to shout him a new modem as well if the drivers don't work.

Am I missing anything,please?Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2006, 02:43 PM
You need the mobo drivers, the videocard drivers (from the videocard manufacturer's site) so it works properly, the LAN drivers (if there's a network card), the modem (sometimes it loads drivers for some modems, not all), and soundcard drivers.

DON'T use Windowsupdate for the drivers. They tend to screw things up!

Use drivers from the maker's site.

I take it, this was a clean install? SP2 should deal with USB 2 if its onboard / a card. If USB 2 doesnt work after the install, go to control panel, delete the USB controller entries and reboot. This should fix the USB 2.

Mike
03-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Windows XP will load all the drivers it can all by itself... then after installation it might tell you what's missing, or you can just go into device manager and look for anything with an exclamation point and load the drivers for them. I would have assumed that XP would happily load the modem drivers itself though...

One thing that's missing off your list is sound card.

Mike.

kingdragonfly
03-03-2006, 02:57 PM
I think you mean slip streamed SP2; SP2 is anything but streamlined.

At 800Mhz, it's not going to be speedy.

I would recommend a clean install instead of an in place upgrade.

I would have beforehand recommended using device manager to note pretty much everything currently installed. It's better to have too much hardware information before rebuilding than too little.

Mike
03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
At 800Mhz, it's not going to be speedy.It may not be as fast as a 3.2GHz, but it won't be much (if any) slower than Win 98 on the same machine. And it's got a good supply of RAM to keep it reasonably happy.

Mike.

kingdragonfly
03-03-2006, 03:44 PM
According to Microsoft, XP was supposed to be faster than Windows 98, up to 77% faster (based on an advanced "alternate reality of the 7th dimension" testing.)

I've heard figures of a 2% performance improvement and faster load times, against the original release of XP against Windows 98.

However once you get SP2 installed and various other performance sapping software installed, I think you'd find it's slower.

Neil McC
03-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Yes it's a clean install. Looks like I'm covered for drivers then.
He ws given another pc with similar specs for his work only, and that runs better then the 98, which is why he's allowing me at last to do it!!
No sound card, Mike and speedy. And I did mean slipstreamed, kingdragonfly.Used autostreamer.
Thanks all.I'll do an image off 98 next week and then go for it.

Mike
03-03-2006, 07:14 PM
According to Microsoft, XP was supposed to be faster than Windows 98, up to 77% faster (based on an advanced "alternate reality of the 7th dimension" testing.)

I've heard figures of a 2% performance improvement and faster load times, against the original release of XP against Windows 98.

However once you get SP2 installed and various other performance sapping software installed, I think you'd find it's slower.I think I've found that it's not :)

I'm currently using a 700MHz PC with 256mb RAM... XP (with SP2 running) is faster than Win 98SE or ME ever were on it. Starts up fast, and loads programs fast. Never had an issue with it.

Mike.

Neil McC
03-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Actually I've been checking what I've got for my old pc, and I see that I needed sound drivers as well. So something else to find? For onboard sound, or would they be in the XP setup? So I'll check in device manager as you suggested kingdragonfly, thanks.

Mike
03-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Actually I've been checking what I've got for my old pc, and I see that I needed sound drivers as well. So something else to find? For onboard sound, or would they be in the XP setup? So I'll check in device manager as you suggested kingdragonfly, thanks.When you say "something else to find?" do you mean find on the Win 98 machine, or a driver CD, or on the net? I would doubt a driver on the Win 98 machine would work with Win XP, which is why I suggest doing the install of Win XP and seeing what it can't load, then find the drivers (you may find there's only a couple of drivers, if any, that you need, rather than the half dozen you might look for otherwise).

Mike.

Neil McC
03-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Mike. I mean I've realised I had to get C-Media drivers for my XP pc, so maybe I need something similar for the boys one for XP. But I need to get back to it to look. Thanks.
Bed time!!