PDA

View Full Version : Linux-Mepis Weirdness regarding IP

personthingy
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I've just setup Mepis 3.4.3 on a machine to replace the semi deceased "flaptop" It all good except it doesnt seem to matter what value i put in the mepis - OS center DNS settings or ETH0 settings, it quickly reverts to

DNS 172.20.18.55
second DNS blank
ETH0 172.16.50.26

instead of
DNS 203.96.152.4
second DNS 203.96.152.12
ETH0 218.101.50.60

So i get about a minute online, and then everything resets itself
Any ideas as to why, or better still, how to stop this sillyness?

personthingy
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Problem fixed itself after a reboot....:p
Very unlinuxy

Graham L
03-03-2006, 04:00 PM
That's not a Linux weirdness. Mepis weirdness, perhaps. Was this a GUI tool, with buttons marked "Apply", and "OK"? Such Windows-like things cause different actions. "Apply" means "do it now"; "OK" means "do it when you start up". Sometimes you have to use both. :D

vinref
03-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Problem fixed itself after a reboot....:p
Very unlinuxy

You needn't reboot if you made changes to the network configuration files. Just get the service to re-read the config file with kill -HUP pid. See man kill.

Graham L
03-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Not all services recognise -HUP. That actually means "Hang up" , so it's a bit of an extension of that meaning to define it as "restart" (which causes reading the configuration files). I'm not sure what process whose PID would cause all the network stuff to reinitialise. ;)

service servicename restart is a more general way to handle this sort of thing. service network restart in this case.

Jen
03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Mepis has a nice configuration GUI for networks, including stopping and starting the services. However, when I set up my network I also found that it was a tad relunctant to pay attention to the setttings I entered. I think I added my DNS and eth0 settings separately, clicking apply between each, then hit stop eth0 / start eth0 to get it to stick in the end. :)

personthingy
03-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Mepis has a nice configuration GUI for networks, including stopping and starting the services. However, when I set up my network I also found that it was a tad relunctant to pay attention to the setttings I entered. It wasn't so much that it was "a tad relunctant to pay attention to the setttings I entered", It's more that it seemed to take my suggestions seriously for about 2 minutes and was real keen to revert back. :( Once i rebooted it forgot the prior settings. and stuck with my suggestions instead. :confused: