PDA

View Full Version : key logger

nzace
02-03-2006, 06:28 PM
If I install a on screen keyboard and use for passwords etc would this foil a keylogger program cheers terry

mark c
02-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't know, but I don't see why it should. At some level it must become the same. :badpc:

If you could get your hands on a keylogger you could try it out.

Interesting query. Hope you get a more helpful reply.

gibler
02-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Depends on how it is written.

Ye old simple keystroke logger wouldn't capture it, but many adavnced ones just do stuff such as capturing small screenshots in the area of your cursor when you click your mouse. A more full on rootkit could spy on Windows messages (i.e the interaction between Applications ans the Windows OS), or indeed capture data before it is encrypted to be transmitted to the web.

And if someone is monitoring your PC (and can control it), they could sit there, wait and figure out for example which websites you go to and serve up a custom phishing site.

Heh and what if your screen keyboard has a backdoor ...

Oh yeah its a good start, but keeping the keylogger off in the first place is better. :2cents:

kingdragonfly
03-03-2006, 11:01 AM
It would defeat hardware based sniffers, such as those made locally here in NZ. These are unusual, and rarely used since you need physical access to the PC.

A software based sniffer hooks itself into the keyboard and clipboard events, and probably tries to make itself the last event, before handing control over to Windows. So an on-screen keyboard would probably not help.

With a root-kit it's even worse.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. (a gram of solution?)