PDA

View Full Version : DVD+R or DVD-R?

technicianxp
24-02-2006, 10:01 AM
I've been monitoring the DVD format war ever since it started with great interest. However, it's only just recently that I actually got myself a DVD writer too. It supports every single current DVD format (but unfortunately doesn't have Lightscribe support). Only problem now is that I can't figure out whether I should use DVD+R/RW or DVD-R/RW media. I've tried +R/RW and found it's worked perfectly in both the writer and my DVD player.
Are there any other differences I should pay attention to or should I just stick with whichever format seems to work?

Billy T
24-02-2006, 10:06 AM
This (http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdformats.htm) clarified it for me. The rest of the site is worth reading too.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Myth
24-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I recently got into dvds as well. I asked around various places, and was told that DVD+R(W) was the better format to use. Although both support multisession, apparently +R(W) handles it better and allows more multisessions. I have also heard it is generally a more reliable medium. DVD-R(W) is more compatible with more DVD writers/players

However, this is just what I have heard and may be wrong. Thus far I have little personal practical knowledge to back this up.

bartsdadhomer
24-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I've found sometimes that what won't fit on a -R will fit on a +R, so I'm assuming the capacity on a +R is slightly greater or the overhead is lower

mark c
24-02-2006, 11:11 AM
This (http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdformats.htm) clarified it for me. The rest of the site is worth reading too.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

That's handy BillY T. I"m going to get a DVD writer sometime this year so I want to learn up on it too. :thumbs:

John H
24-02-2006, 04:19 PM
The first time I bought disks for my DVD writer which did + and - I didn't think (duh!) and bought some DVD blanks in the first format that came into my head... I subsequently found that my laptop couldn't read those DVDs, so just another hint to think about compatibility with any other computers in your use, as well as the DVD player...

Billy T
25-02-2006, 08:26 AM
The first time I bought disks for my DVD writer which did + and - I didn't think (duh!) and bought some DVD blanks in the first format that came into my head... I subsequently found that my laptop couldn't read those DVDs, so just another hint to think about compatibility with any other computers in your use, as well as the DVD player...
Excellent format compatibility info can be found on the website I linked in both my previous post and on my other thread about Fuji DVDs.

You should also be aware that DVD +R does not conform to the official DVD standard, that is why the packaging is not permitted to show the DVD logo. The history is also explained on the wesite.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Ron24
25-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
Many thanks for showing the way to this info. Having just installed a DVD drive and this was very useful..
Regards Ron24.