PDA

View Full Version : Can a server go here?

dwnz
18-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi,
I have a server that drives me crazy sitting next to my desk.

I recently had a plug installed in the cupboard under the stairs. It is fairly large, and i was wondering if it would be OK in there (Eg: not over heating etc)

Its only a 1ghz P3, so its not very hot (The air coming out of the fan is never hot, or even warm)...it would be nice to have it quite.

Thanks
Daniel

Morgenmuffel
18-02-2006, 09:10 PM
You'll never know if you don't try,

Is the cupboard ventilated, as in airflow, if it is then i can't imageine it being much worse than some of these pokey little desks, it might also pay to put a temp gauge in there to see what the temperature is like with the server running,

If yoiu need to put vents in put some high (heat rises) and some low, just to get a flow going and check they don't clog with dust

Also what size is the cupboard, at my parents place the cupboard under the stairs is big enough you can almost sleep in there, ehereas the one here I can just fit the vaccum in (provided it's folded up)

dwnz
18-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Its not really ventilated, but it does have the central heating air entry thing, so it might get a little bit of air that leaks from that (If it does)

You could fit 2 people sleeping in there, though it would be really tight, but 1 person could sleep in there no problems.

The main reason i ask this is because i am going to build a "communications center" in there, and would like to put the server there (And because of the noise)

I have to wait till i buy all the stuff before i can put it in there though.

Daniel

tweak'e
18-02-2006, 09:53 PM
try it and see. fit a thermometer (one of those cheap indoor/outdoor ones work ok) so you can see the inside temp with the door closed.

even with a decent sized room a pc can heat it up quite well. a 1ghz p3 still puts out a fair amount of heat.