PDA

View Full Version : music help please

rawkus1020
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
are mp3s smaller than most of the stuff u get off limewire etc i just got a mp3 player cheap one with only 40 mb is it possible to downsize them any smaller to fit more songs cause 40 mb doesnt fit that many

CYaBro
10-02-2006, 05:43 PM
MP3's can be compressed with a variety of bit rates.
The lower the bit rate the smaller the files and the worse the quality of the sound.
If you want to you could re-encode the MP3's you have at a lower bit rate but going below 128kbps makes the music start to sound wierd and echoey.
40MB is not a lot, you might be lucky if you can fit one album on it at a decent bit rate. (128 is lowest I would ever go and even then I try to use 192 if at all possible)

tweak'e
10-02-2006, 05:56 PM
mind you how good is the sound quailty of a cheap mp3 player with those crappy speakers? not good i bet so you could get the bitrate right down low. there are a few tricks to getting the best sound for lowest file size.

pity very few players can play ogg files as its very good for small file size and easy to encode with.

Mr Wetzyl
10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
MP3's can be compressed with a variety of bit rates.
The lower the bit rate the smaller the files and the worse the quality of the sound.
If you want to you could re-encode the MP3's you have at a lower bit rate but going below 128kbps makes the music start to sound wierd and echoey.
40MB is not a lot, you might be lucky if you can fit one album on it at a decent bit rate. (128 is lowest I would ever go and even then I try to use 192 if at all possible)
...unless encoded using Sony ATRAC3 format.....lower bitrate mp3s will still sound good.
http://www.sony.net/Products/ATRAC3/overview/index.html