PDA

View Full Version : Printing with Windows XP

Brucem
09-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I have recently upgraded from win98SE to XP home. I use 3 printers on my machine HP laserjet 5L, Panasonic dot matrix KX-P2023 (not mine belongs to a society that I do work for), and Canon bubblejet BJC-4550 (mainly used for printing A3 plans etc).

I have not tried the Canon yet, but with neither of the others can I set up a custom sheet size, particularly fanfold labels for the Panasonic.

To make the HP work at all I had to reduce the resolution from 600dpi to 300dpi, and it won't rouse itself from sleep mode without pressing the button.

I am mainy concerned with the label printing as I have some 300 labels to print by Saturday 11 February!

Can anyone help?

Brucem

FoxyMX
09-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Have you checked to see whether there are any updated drivers for those printers available?

Brucem
09-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I have checked Panasonic which has a 95/98 driver only. I have emailed Panasonic and been refered to mec.co.nz. I have forwarded my email & the Panasonic reply to them. I am not holding my breath. A month of so ago I checked the HP site and got the message that the driver with winXP was as good as it gets! (or words to that effect)

Brucem

Greg
09-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Have you considered a temporary solution of printing the labels on the HP? (of course will mean buying new labels)

Woody
09-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm using XP Home with an HP 5L - no prob's Running 600 DPI and operates same as it did for years with Win 98
Sorry can't offer any suggestion
Good luck

Graham L
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Can't you set the appropriate page length from the Panasonic control panel? Wouldn't that be enough, or have you got more than 1 label wide?

You are logged in as Administrator to make the settings? (Though I have an idea you might be able to do this as an "ordinary" user).

GrahamT
09-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm asuming that you are using the xp driver for the KXP2023 which is provided as standard within Win XP.
What you do is go to the printers & faxs folder and from the file menu select server properties.
Create a new form and call it (eg) Panlabels.
Set the dimensions of the label eg 9.5cm (wide) x 3.0cm long (or whatever) and save it.
Then under the properties of the Panasonic KXP2023 select that form in both device optioons and printer preferences (make sure you select tractor feed tand the Advanced setting to get there.
This should at least get you printing labels one across.
You can than experiment for multiples across.
Hope this helps