PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox update not working

caffy
07-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Yesterday Mozilla Firefox downloaded an update (for what, I'm not sure), and it said I have to restart Firefox in order for the update to install. After closing firefox and opening it up again it starts to install it but an error comes up saying it failed. "Make sure all applications are closed and restart Firefox again". I've done this numerous times with no success.

What can I do now? Using WinXP home, Mozilla Firefox 1.5

cheers,
caffy

zqwerty
07-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Firefox has just been updated to ver 1.5.0.1 a few days ago however some people are having trouble with the auto update and will need to download the whole of the latest version, about 5 Meg, also some of your extensions will not work, but this is what always happens and generally the developers update to the latest version pretty rapidly.

Get it from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

caffy
07-02-2006, 06:56 PM
thanks for that, am downloading the update at the moment, hopefully this one will work!

zqwerty
07-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes the smaller update for the entire Firefox update has never worked for me, I think it might be my antivirus program or the Analogue X Script Defender program I use.

caffy
08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
It worked, cheers for that. Strange the original one didn't work. Wonder if there's a common link between people's computers who have failed to install this update?

Laura
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Well mine worked for a very brief period & now it's not only refusing to open about every second website, but I've also lost a big chunk of my screen at the bottom while trying to fix things.
I've been fiddling for ages tonight...

Now tiredness & impatience are taking over, so although I began this reply with the intention of describing symptoms, I'm turning the machine off before I make things worse.

(The warning signals are here. You know - the ones that whisper: Why don't you just click that button & see what it does?

As Scarlett said at Tara - Tomorrow is another day...
(Sorry, kids. It was the Civil War & you had to be there)

Greg
08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
(Sorry, kids. It was the Civil War & you had to be there)Who's civil war... the American? I just happen to be reading a fascinating book of a pivotal portion of that war; a novelised account called To Make Men Free. It's given me a great insight into that conflict that I never had before.

It's fascinating to learn how so many famous names, eg Robert Lee and Jeb Stuart, rose to their fame. Even Abe Lincoln is portrayed in a different light to the kind of benevolent anti-racist he's often portrayed as.

zqwerty
08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Laura, I know the answer to this, one of your extension is no longer compatable and is interfering with the correct operation. I have had this happen to me, here is what I did:

Start Firefox in safe mode and see if it is alright, if it is then disable all your extensions then enable them one by one until you have the fault again. A laborious process. Disable the offending extension and wait until you get a message saying that it has been updated to the next version of Firefox.

FoxyMX
09-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Laura, I know the answer to this, one of your extension is no longer compatable and is interfering with the correct operation. I have had this happen to me, here is what I did:

Start Firefox in safe mode and see if it is alright, if it is then disable all your extensions then enable them one by one until you have the fault again. A laborious process. Disable the offending extension and wait until you get a message saying that it has been updated to the next version of Firefox.
Firefox users must be a real patient lot to have to go through this performance everytime the program is updated. I just couldn't be stuffed with all that. :rolleyes:

mejobloggs
09-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Oh, and about Firefox updates, is there any way to update all extensions at once, instead of indivudually updating each one?

zqwerty
09-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Google for this extension, it will make all the extensions that can work operate on the latest update of Firefox, of course you may run into Laura's problem and have to go the long way:

Nightly Tester Tools 0.7.9.11

There is also the beta version of this extension which I am investigating at the moment but it is hard to set up:

http://customsoftwareconsult.com/extensions/febe/febe.html

The is also a bulk extension replacer available which goes out onto the internet and replaces all your previous extensions automatically but I can't remember the name of it, try Googling bulk extension replacement.

Sweep
09-02-2006, 03:30 PM
(The warning signals are here. You know - the ones that whisper: Why don't you just click that button & see what it does?

As Scarlett said at Tara - Tomorrow is another day...
(Sorry, kids. It was the Civil War & you had to be there)

Even as old as I am I was not there at the American Civil War.
And quite frankly My Dear, I'm very pleased I wasn't. :-)

Antmannz
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh, and about Firefox updates, is there any way to update all extensions at once, instead of indivudually updating each one?

Tools > Extensions > Find Updates.

I find that FF takes a little while to close. Not like 5 mins or anything, but about 20 - 30 seconds. So if you try to open to soon it tends to have a wee fit about that. I think it may be related to the number of extensions installed.

BTW, the auto-update feature works for both my PCs and I'm very happy with it. :)

Laura
09-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Greg: Yes

Sweep: But I'm sure you'd make a lovely Rhett Butler...

Anyone still mystified: Gone With the Wind

Scarlett O'Hara = Vivienne Leigh
Tara = Southern cotton plantation mansion
Rhett Butler = Clark Gable
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." ( Recently voted Most Famous Movie Line of All Time. So much for Star Wars & other recent hoohah. This film was made in 1939...)

And finally - back on thread - thanks, zquerty.
I'll try tonight.