PDA

View Full Version : WiFi help

Fred
04-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi all, Just got a new Apache smart phone and need some help setting up WiFi.
I thought that my WiFi laptop and WIFi phone would "talk" to each other, but no. I'm new to networking so can someone please talk me through WiFi network setup.

Many thanks

STi
05-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Do you mean connect to router?

Fred
05-02-2006, 08:46 PM
No, was thinking that the two would talk dirrectly to each other. (WiFi phone & WiFi laptop). Or is this just not possible?
Thanks

maccrazy
05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
It's possible to have a computer to computer network so I would assume it is possible to do the same with a 802.11b/g enabled phone. :)

Fred
05-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks, so how do we do a WiFi network?

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Setting up a WI-FI network is the same, as setting up a ethernet network.

You have to give whatever ip addresses, and a workgroup name (well with PC's).

I wouldnt have a clue, what settings are in this Smartphone.

Or whether it lets u enter / type in ip addresses. BUT depending on how far away you'll be when using this phone, you may need an access point.

This is so u can get a better signal between a PC / laptop, and the phone.

Did the Smartphone come with a driver for Windows?

Fred
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
The phone has the following settings:
Under a page called LEAP we enter
SSID
User Name
Password
Domain

In the main page it lists current configeration, I take it this is shows an active connection.

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Ah ok.

If XP is on the laptop, is SP2 installed? As SP2 gives u a wireless network setup wizard. Which is in control panel.

If SP2 isn't installed, then I'm not too sure how you would configure the wireless between the laptop and the phone.

Unless the phone came with its own software, so you can configure it with XP (If this is what's on the laptop).

The SSID is like a name (any name). BOTH the laptop and the phone would have to have the same SSID to talk to each other.

The username and password on the phone, maybe for logging into your ISP email account (so it can check email), if this is what the phone is meant to check.

If it is, put your email user name / password for your email account under username / password on the phone).

Its either for email, or to connect to your internet account, (your dial-up, or your ADSL connection).

Can you see an option on this phone for checking email?

I'm not too sure if anything would go under domain on the phone. It depends on what it means by domain. As XP Pro can be part of a domain, but normally you dont put XP in a domain. Unless it means something to do with your ISP.

And do you know, (or do you see) any option on the phone for encryption (for wireless)? Like WEP? Or something similar?

Pete O'Neil
06-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Because you dont have an AP remember to setup the wireless network in ad-hoc mode. It should just be a matter of setting up a wireless network on the laptop and then connecting to it with the phone. There should be a wizard for setting up the network in windows and then just enter the relevant info into the phone.

Fred
06-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks all, I've just run the Network Setup Wizard and it's found the Wireless Network Connection is disconnected. How do I make sure it's connected?

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Has the phone got anything on it for entering in an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway??

And any options for setting it up in infrastructure or ad-hoc mode?

Does the WIFI on the laptop give u an option to set it up as an access point?

Fred
06-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Can't find anywhere..... but then again am I looking in the right place????
A point in the right direction might help!

technophobia
06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
HI fred are you using a wireless router to receive the signal to your from your internet connection to your pc, if you are using a d link wireless router then to configure you have to go to the net using a pc not your wireless one to set it up go to this address but dont type in www leave it out type in this as follows 10.1.1.1 then where it says user name type in admin and where it says password type in admin and go to wireless on the left hand side i will explain more if you have a dlink router for doing this other wise i cant help what router are you using.

Fred
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
No router, I'm still on dailup. I live in the country!

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Is this (http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/xtra_email_apache_guide.pdf) what you've got?

This shows u how to set the email side of it up, if it is.

I would tell u how, if I knew what the settings were!

technophobia
06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Maybe tomorrow you should ring telecoms xtra help desk they might be able to help you.

Fred
06-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Yes this what I've got plus an Asus laptop running XP Pro.

technophobia
06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Have you been to the telecom website to see if you can get broadband where you are cause its recommended if you have wireless equipment then you need broadband so it can keep up.

Fred
06-02-2006, 10:47 PM
No I can't get broadband here... So does that mean I have to be connected to the internet to run a network? I thought a network would be stand alone.

technophobia
06-02-2006, 10:50 PM
if you want to be connected to the net then yes you must do that .You can run a private network within your home using wireless technology or dial up but you will need a wireless router to do it that way.