PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to stop automatic diversion to xtramsn when log out of hotmail?

annie
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know how to stop the diversion to http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/ when logging out of hotmail? I don't use hotmail much, mostly for sites that might generate spam (and then use blue frog in the hope it may annoy them), but I am sick of sitting there waiting while rediverting. Even if you hit 'stop' it usually seems to do a Terminator and rise again.
This is presumably the reason xtramsn seems to feature so highly on NZ's list of most-visited sites.
Any ideas appreciated, thanks

Metla
03-02-2006, 09:14 AM
red X, top right hand corner.

annie
03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but then I have to open another new window, it's a lot of effort.... and besides I resent my browser being taken over by the forces of evil

Metla
03-02-2006, 09:34 AM
click the home button rather then logging out and being redirected.

bob_doe_nz
03-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Whats so hard clicking the 'X' button and the the new browser button?
Its only two seconds.

Reminds me of my older brother. He can't be bothered manually shutting down the computer. He has to use the power button on his keyboard...

So when I got him a new keyboard, the first thing he said was... "Wheres the power button?".
I so want to slap him :angry

annie
03-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Patience is over-rated.

annie
03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
But thank you for the suggestions

kingdragonfly
03-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Won't stop it but you can put the following into the restricted sites.

Tools... Internet Options...
"Security" tab
"Restricted sites"
"*.signout.msn.com" (without the quotes)

mark c
03-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I've seen that on someone's comp, yes. Think I got around it but can't remember how.

Anyway, I've just been to hotmail, logged in, read my mail, and then hit the 'home' button and here I am back here, Pressf1 being my homepage.

And this is with Mozilla Firefox, latest edition this week.

Maybe you're using Internet Explorer, and that's Microsoft, and Xtra is Telecom, and they are all in the boat (compatible synergies), and that it only happens with IE. (The case mentioned earlier was with IE). HTH........... :2cents: :D

annie
03-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all that - just a question on using firefox and hitting 'home' - I have firefox, but if I click on the home button, I do get returned home for the active tab, but the browser also opens another 3 or 4 or whatever tabs - I had hoped the latest v of firefox would fix this, but it hasn't. I don't see any settings that would cause this... any bright ideas on the cause/fixing it?

mark c
03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm a bit :confused:

So you're using firefox and it does return you to your selected homepage, not xtramsn? And these other tabs that pop-up sound like pop-ups. Where do they direct you? What are they for?. Have you got the pop-up blocker enabled in firefox? Tools ? Options...somewhere there. HTH m :thumbs:

zqwerty
03-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Just get this extension, google it, then set it up so when you double click a tab it closes then double click the tab bar and a new tab opens, I do this all the time with Hotmail. Also ctrl+T opens a new tab.

Tab Clicking Options 0.6.2

annie
03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks -
Mark C, I was pretty obtuse, sorry
zqwerty - my hero - this extension is just what I was looking for. Thanks! It works beautifully

zqwerty
03-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Try these extensions that I have found useful for tabs:

Colorful Tabs 0.3

Too many tabs! 0.5.2.1

Colorful Tabs is especially useful.

annie
03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks - I already have Colorful Tabs, and like it a lot.
Too Many Tabs! looks really useful also - surprising it isn't available thru the firefox site. Have installed it and will have a look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for that

sam m
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
just press alt+home when you've finished with hotmail

not sure but that could be slightly harder than clicking the red x or clicking on the home icon, but then again I try to avoid mousing and it seems to impress people when they see how easily you navigate without a mouse.