PDA

View Full Version : Christmas PC

mlevengood
02-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I have a PC that will only boot Win98 to a point were you would enter user name and company name. After that it wants the Windows registration code, enter that and it goes to a weird screen with a Christmas wreath in the center. That is as far as it will boot

The first time it happened I used Go-Back once and got it to run fine for about 3 weeks, and a scan showed no viruses or anything. Now it is as described as above. Go-Back will no longer work.

Has anyone run into this before? I really hate to resort to a format but...

drcspy
02-02-2006, 10:46 AM
you needent necessarily do a clean install you could try this:

as with all versions of windows you can do a 'clean' install which will wipe his system and install a clean verison of windows or you can do a 'repair' install if you know how.........

to do this stuff in a boot disk for win98....if you havent got one download this:
http://www.sitesled.com/members/drcspy/boot98se.exe

then double clik it and it'll write to floppy and voila you'll have a boot disk.........then

start the system with the boot floppy have your win98 cd handy.....also you'll need to have written down his system liscense key you can download this:

http://www.sitesled.com/members/drcspy/OEM%20keyfinder.exe
little program to find it for you

when you start up you'll get a little menu choose 'start with cd support'

then when the system has loaded the cddrivers you need to change the directory to c: so just type in c: at the command prompt and then tap enter

then type in

cd windows

then tap enter

then type in

ren win.com win.old

then tap enter

then type in d:

then tap enter that should take you 'into ' the cd ...........then type in

cd win98

then tap enter

then type in

setup

then tap enter

then you'll be starting the 98 setup ......it'll run scandisk then you have to tap X and the rest of the setup will continue.........at some stage it'll give you the option of installing to 'windows.000' or .............custom install .......choose custom install then clik 'next' then in the 'custom install' box type in

windows

then clik next...........NOW you are on the way to doin a 'repair' or 'over the top' install of 98 and he wont lose ANY data or programs off the system it'll just overwrite the system files with good copies from the cd.............

PHEW !!!

i've written this out too many times so I'm gonna copy and save it for future use !!!!!!!

LUCK........if you follow those instructions EXACTLY you'll be fine.......

Metla
02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Why not just boot from the cd, select defult install location (c/Windows) and carry on?

It does exactly the same thing, a dirty install of W98.

mlevengood
02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Well everything makes sense as to what you are saying. But my concern is why doesn't the Go-Back work and what is this screen? I know I can boot this computer in the safe mode but what do i do about whatever is causing the problem? can I run an antivirus program from a CD on boot? and which one can I load on a CD?

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2006, 01:51 PM
If u can get into safe mode, then get this (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip) unzip this file, then boot back into safe mode.

Then run this program and click on scan and save a log, and copy and paste the log here.