PDA

View Full Version : XP Device Manager - removing duplicated devices

straka01
01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I am have trouble getting my sound to work on my son's PC now I've loaded XP. It's 1100mhz with 512mb RAM. The machine is NOT connected to the internet in any way or on a network.

I've noticed that in my device manager I have two entries of Audio Codecs & Media Control Devices and I was thinking that this may be the problem. However, when I right click on the device I DO NOT have any DELETE tab. Pressing DELETE on the keyboard with the device highlighted has no effect.

I'm more used to win98 and find I can remove items easily in this system.

Another idea I had was to remove the entire Sound device manager and restart letting XP reinstall everything. But I can't seem to do that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kingdragonfly
02-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Does the sound cable plug into the motherboard, or is there a separate sound card?

You may have both "on-board" sound and a sound card. Usually the "on-board" sound can be disabled through BIOS.

straka01
02-02-2006, 12:10 PM
It plugs into the motherboard. Previously the machine had win98 on it and sound worked fine so it's a bit of a mystery why it should stop when I loaded XP.
There's no other sound card in the machine.
Actually, I couldn't see any sound controls in the bios - I checked to see if that may have been a problem.

Terry Porritt
02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
... However, when I right click on the device I DO NOT have any DELETE tab. Pressing DELETE on the keyboard with the device highlighted has no effect...........

OK, but how about when you right click and then go into Properties, do you have any sort of options for disable, remove or roll back driver etc? What one gets seems to vary with the device/driver.

straka01
02-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I have options to update or roll back driver however the uninstall button which is there is 'non-active'...

Terry Porritt
02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
It also looks as though the driver for your audio chipset is missing from Device Manager.

Do you have a motherboard drivers and utilities CD? That is needed, generally speaking, after installing an operating system. It is possible that XP did not correctly detect the audio.

straka01
02-02-2006, 02:35 PM
That's the problem - when I bought the PC on TradeMe the chap never supplied a motherboard CD. It's a Asus Tusi-M.

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
If you still havent got the drivers then, go here (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us)

Type in tusi-m in the top lefthand corner.

Then click on the tusi-m link, then find what u need, download, unzip, and install.

These (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/cm288_wxp.zip) are the soundcard drivers for XP. From the above site.

Since it looks like a SIS based mobo, expect it to lag, (when opening programs etc), like any other SIS-based motherboard.

straka01
02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Thankyou - I'm downloading that now. Let's hope it works for me.
I'd still like to know why I can't delete items from the device manager like I can in 98. Perhaps there's also a conflict with the double ups?

straka01
02-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I've installed this program - but still no sound.

When I go into Control Panel / Sound & Audion Properties and click on the Volume tab - it states that there is NO AUDIO DEVICE. Plus when I click on the Sounds tab / highlight the Asterisk (in windows defaults) and press the arrowhead to play the sound - a message pops up stating 'Cannot Play Sound. Your Sound Card May Be In Use'.

Perhaps I need to delete items from the device manager and let it find them again on reboot. Perhaps there's a conflict with the double ups?

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Go to control panel / sounds and audio devices / audio tab.

Make sure the top entry under default device is on the soundcard. You havent got something like a voice modem installed have you??

If u have, it may show as Modem #0 Line Playback under default device.

And this is what it maybe on. If you're on dialup, and it says its in use.

Terry Porritt
02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
There is a manual for the motherboard here:

http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/support/download/manual/370/tusi_m_e.pdf

On page 57, there is information in the BIOS setup about enabling/disabling the Onboard PCI Audio Controller. It should be enabled by default, but then again it may have been disabled?

straka01
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks to both Speedy Gonzales & Terry Porritt for all your help.

Yippee - we got it to work.

Yes, the default setting was on Modem #0 Line Playback instead of the soundcard. It might set to this immediately during setup so that it can dial out for updates and registration. Whatever the reason it was a good lesson to learn for me. Next time I load up xp and I've got no sound I'll know where to look.

After all my mucking around I did find a setting in the BIOS for the onboard Audio - I made sure it was enabled.

Again, thanks heaps guys. Keep up the good work.