PDA

View Full Version : PC wont POST

stephen
31-01-2006, 08:34 PM
I just bought a new 250GB external hard drive for my laptop. its a Seagate Model No. ST3250823A, with an 3.5" Portable Hard Disk Drive case. I installed the hard drive in the case and hooked it all up to my computer.

A wee pop-up balloon in the notification area of the taskbar said that the 'USB device has malfunctioned. Please disconnect and reconnect the device, or contact your local dealer'. I did this, and as soon as i reconnected the USB cable to the computer, the whole system locked up. Nothing would respond, i was listening to an MP3, that just went to a repeating noise, nothing would work. I pushed the reset button on the computer, and now the computer wont POST. No beep codes, nothing. Fans are running, so its not the power supply (i dont think). At the moment, all that is connected to the motherboard is the CPU, and it still doesn't come up with any beep-codes.

I tried the external hard drive on my laptop, which is where im writing this from, and installed and formatted it without a hitch. Both systems are XP SP2 Pro, with all updates, virus protection etc.

I hope that it isn't a problem with the CPU. (Intel P4 2.4B Ghz). I've already had to have had it replaced once since i built the system myself in June 2003.

Specs are: Intel P4 2.4, 512MB Ram, 80GB HDD, Asus P4P800S SE Motherboard.

Any help appreciated, and as to WHY this sort of thing would happen...

Murray P
31-01-2006, 11:50 PM
You've done all the usual things like, reseating cables and connectors? Have you got anything you can test the cpu in? Can you confirm the, working, condition of the parts you removed (other than the new HDD), that they haven't fried and taken something out with them.

Do you ahve a dual BIOS, very long shot but it could have corrupted. It would seem as if you're down to the CPU or motherboard though. Seems a bit fishy going through 2 CPU's, it happens but, worth checking the board to ensure it's not going to happen a 3rd time.

Edit: Shi..te!! just noticed your rego date Stephen, congrats on your first post, that's going to give the post count a huge % boost. Don't be a stranger ;)

kingdragonfly
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Ouch. :(

I don't think it's related to your external hard drive; just one of those freaky coincidences.

I'd disconnect everything possible, including disconnecting all drives. If you have on-board video, pull out the video card too. Pull out any other remaining boards.

You should have only a standard non-USB keyboard, PSU and a video monitor hooked to the motherboard.

Hopefully you'll hear that sweet beep, and something will show up on the monitor. Then you can slowly reconnect components till it stops working again.

stephen
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yup, i did the usual things, disconnect cables etc. One question, should the BIOS give a beep code if there is no CPU installed? I took out EVERYTHING, so the only thing connected to the motherboard was the 20-pin power connecter, and the power switch connecter to the case. Nothing. Even with just the CPU, same thing. Lights, fans, but no POST.

Does this mean CPU? Or motherboard....

Im still puzzled as to why this has just 'randomly' happened....

Jams
01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I just bought a new 250GB external hard drive for my laptop. its a Seagate Model No. ST3250823A, with an 3.5" Portable Hard Disk Drive case. I installed the hard drive in the case and hooked it all up to my computer.

A wee pop-up balloon in the notification area of the taskbar said that the 'USB device has malfunctioned. Please disconnect and reconnect the device, or contact your local dealer'. I did this, and as soon as i reconnected the USB cable to the computer, the whole system locked up. Nothing would respond, i was listening to an MP3, that just went to a repeating noise, nothing would work. I pushed the reset button on the computer, and now the computer wont POST. No beep codes, nothing. Fans are running, so its not the power supply (i dont think). At the moment, all that is connected to the motherboard is the CPU, and it still doesn't come up with any beep-codes.

I tried the external hard drive on my laptop, which is where im writing this from, and installed and formatted it without a hitch. Both systems are XP SP2 Pro, with all updates, virus protection etc.

I hope that it isn't a problem with the CPU. (Intel P4 2.4B Ghz). I've already had to have had it replaced once since i built the system myself in June 2003.

Specs are: Intel P4 2.4, 512MB Ram, 80GB HDD, Asus P4P800S SE Motherboard.

Any help appreciated, and as to WHY this sort of thing would happen...

Just becuase fans are spinning and so forth doesnt mean its not the power supply. A system can boot into windows and do other things, but when a certain task is asked to be done which uses a bit more grunt than the usual Windows Idoling, then the system can die. I would test with a new/diffrerent PSU if possible.

Also, certain devices can halt the boot process, are you trying to boot hte system with the external HDD connected ?. if so, pull it out and boot.

gibler
01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Just becuase fans are spinning and so forth doesnt mean its not the power supply. A system can boot into windows and do other things, but when a certain task is asked to be done which uses a bit more grunt than the usual Windows Idoling, then the system can die. I would test with a new/diffrerent PSU if possible.

Also, certain devices can halt the boot process, are you trying to boot hte system with the external HDD connected ?. if so, pull it out and boot.

True. I saw this the other day. No video signal, but fans all merrily spinning.
Grab another PSU and we have some more life back.

kingdragonfly
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
One question, should the BIOS give a beep code if there is no CPU installed?

Some motherboard have a speaker header for a small case speaker. It's NOT meant for "full blown" sound, just beeps during POST and if there's no sound device installed.

Other motherboard will feature a tiny speaker on the motherboard for the same purpose. Check the motherboard manual.

stephen
02-02-2006, 12:48 PM
hmm... its a ThermalTake 420W power supply, i thought that it would be more than enough. will try another though. thanks for the help tho guys.

Graham L
02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
A 420W supply should be plenty. :D A USB device can pull a whole 2.5W . I don't think that would bother the PSU, which should be able to provide at least 600W briefly while starting disks etc.

There is something wrong.

I don't think it should do anything without a CPU. It certainly can't run the POST code, which is the usual provider of beeps. :D There are other processors on the motherboard ... hidden in the I/O packages.

stephen
02-02-2006, 02:01 PM
If it was the CPU, could you tell? eg like if I left it running for a wee while, then took it out, would it feel warm if it was working? Or would it just feel warm regardless...

Myth
02-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I think I read somewhere a couple of months ago that there was a dud batch of TT 420W PSU's. Check it anyway

stephen
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I dont have another power supply with the 4-pin 12V connecter. i turned on the computer with no heatsink/fan on the CPU, and it was dissipating heat - does that mean the CPU is fine? or do dead/fried CPU's still dissipate heat?

Eric
02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
It is not something silly like the "reset" button jammed on, have you unplugged it?

I think it is one of a first step things to try when there is no POST routine, (and it is so cheap to test) we don't want to get hit by "target" again.

stephen
02-02-2006, 09:11 PM
lol, nah the reset switch isn't stuck. i had pulled that plug out of the motherboard. good thought tho!! i hope it isnt something silly like that tho...

Murray P
02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
As per Graham's reply, I think your something is on/to do with the mother board. Why would it not POST if the PSU can can power a fan, it takes 5/8ths of F-all to power a POST beep. if you were getting power and a signal to the CPU and the CPU wans't behaving, you'd get a POST beep.

Can you access the BIOS, I guess not, if it's not POSTing, but...! maybe short it and see what happens as a last option.

stephen
03-02-2006, 05:28 PM
'short it'? how do i go about doing this murray?

Murray P
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Some boards have a jumber near the CMOS chip which contains the BIOS, which you set to connect the contacts or you can flick the battery out. The object is to reset the BIOS to the factory defaults by disconnecting it from the battery, if something has screwed it up or reload a backed up BIOS if your board supports this feature. (NB. Not sure why it is called shorting, someone like to explain?)

The method will depend on your board and I hesitate to lead you down that track because a) I'm not that certain of the method having done iot only once a long while back. b) Fiddling around with your BIOS should always be a last resort, it can go wrong leaving you, effectively, with a dead board (hmmm) c) I'm not sure whether I'm talking a complete load of pooh so, would like to get some backup or get dissed by one of the other members for suggesting such a ludicrous thing.

Or I could just give you a link: TroubleShooting The Motherboard (http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/gen_Failure.htm) or Two -Jumpers (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/mobo/comp_Jumpers.htm)

george12
03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
That's a pretty safe thing to try in my experience (resetting the bios with the jumper). Just don't power it up with the jumper on.

Even very dead CPUs dissipate heat, so unfortunately that doesn't mean anything. Leave the jumper in the clearing position for about 15 mins with the power unplugged (most likely unnecessary but you need to in some).

Otherwise just try replacing 1) motherboard 2) CPU 3) PSU (thats in order of likelyness) until you find the fault.

I think this one's gonna cost :(.

stephen
06-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh, yes i had actually tried that in one of the few things that i thought that may help. Im just going to have to ring up Intel and get another CPU, as its still under its 3 year warranty, and be prepared to buy another motherboard, if the CPU isn't the problem. Thanks for the help guys, il let ya kno wot it is that fixes is when i get it done! :cool:

stephen
09-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Took it in to a shop in town, they did a few tests and confirmed the CPU was working correctly, it in fact was the motherboard some IRQ failure. So its off lookin for a new motherboard...