PDA

View Full Version : Silly Search problem

IanS
30-01-2006, 03:47 PM
A silly little problem has arisen recently, probably as a result of my fiddling. [My daughter tells me "Stop fiddling Dad" !!]
When I double left click on a short cut or icon which looks like a paper folder I get the "Search Results" panel. To open these folders I have to right click and select "Open". The folder then opens in the normal way. [SEARCH appears at the top of the drop down panel]
This does not happen with other icons which have a different appearance. There is probably something in TOOLS/OPTIONS or FOLDER/OPTIONS but I cannot find it. Does anyone have the answer?

Greg
30-01-2006, 04:10 PM
It'd be helpful if you gave more information: What operating system? Are these icons/folders on your desktop? What do you mean by "[SEARCH appears at the top of the drop down panel]" - is this the options you get when you right click them? Can you be more specific? What do you recall was the last thing you did before noticing this? Is it Windows built-in search function that opens? Are the folders you're trying to access, normally (on your desktop)?

Meantime, open Windows search, and look in Preferences in the Search menu to see if there's something in there that you can mess around with.

Also, if you right-click a folder and select Properties, what do you see under Shortcut / Target? It should be a path to the actual file (unless it's not a shortcut and of course is stored in your desktop itself)

godfather
30-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Its caused by a corrupt registry entry usually.

Easier than trawling through the Registry is to download and run the utility from here:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

IanS
30-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Many thanks to "godfather" you hit the nail right on the head and the problem is now cured.
To Greg, yes I could have been a bit more specific but godfather understood the problem. Thanks from IanS

godfather
30-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Glad it's fixed.
Its not uncommon, not sure what causes it but probably not "fiddling".