PDA

View Full Version : Old joystick not compatible with XP

Greg
30-01-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm wanting to play the new Trackmania, but it's lousy using a keyboard. The only joystick I have is an old Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital.

So I've downloaded the latest drivers and calibration software, but went on to read Logitech digital gaming devices connected to the serial port are not supported under Windows XP. :yuck: Which is a bummer, because the joystick only has a serial cable.

But aha, in my box of netwrking tricks that I've been trying flog off, I find a USB serial adaptor.

So - do you think this'll work? (I'm gonna try it of course, but wondered if there were any tricks to watch out for).

Thanks.

[edit] actually kinda doubt it'll work - joystick HAS tobe plugged into the sound card's point right?

Trev
30-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Logitech Wingman Extreme J/S is supported by Windows XP. Check out the game controllers in Control Panel.

Trevor :)

SolMiester
30-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Greg, think thats the same with MS Sidewinder FF wheel. As these products are analogue, they do not convert using the digital serial to usb converter.

I have a friend with real issues with these. How MS could get away with making its hardware obsolete via a new O/S is beyond me. Moral of the story, dont buy MS hardware.
Anyway getting away from thread, I heard there is a patch for usb keyboards for the game. Cant tell ya where it is, try Logitech web site or the game developers

Metla
30-01-2006, 01:23 PM
XP has drivers for all their old game controllers, Its just a matter of selecting Sidewinder (auto-Detect) from the list, I had no issue running the original Precsion Pro stick, my MS FFB wheel or a couple of old ms gamepads.

SolMiester
30-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Metla, there were 2 versions, one with USB the other with a dongle converter of serial to USB which will NOT work with XP. I am a techican and have been over this recently. I couldnt believe MS would do that with there hardware.

If a serial port is used, it will detect but forcefeedback is hit and miss with games.

Metla
30-01-2006, 01:41 PM
All my devices were/are the old joystick port, worked perfectly, every game. Only replaced my wheel just before christmas.

As for the USB converter, The MS gaming hardware would only work with the USB adaptor shipped with the product. A generic one won't work, neither will one that shipped with a different model MS device. Futhermore if the Game Controller didn't ship with a USB adaptor then there is no way to make it work via USB, Thats what a gameport is for.

Haven't had any issue with devices not working on their USB adaptor if it was the one they shipped with.

SolMiester
30-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Metla, sorry will be more precise. MS wheel with original serial will connect, auto-detect, BUT FF is off and on, old titles okay, new not. This one also had MS USB adapter, BUT will not detect on XP.
There was another, later version of the MS FF wheel that was USB only, that I believe is okay with XP.

However we all know that the MS wheel is pants and the only one to get if you are serious about racing with a wheel is the Logitech Wingman FF or more up to date Momo...LOL

Metla
30-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Did you have it running through an onboard port or one on a sound card?, Mine missed a good half of the effects when I had it plugged into an intergrated port, Moving to a Soundcard sorted that issue, Haven't yet seen a new title that I didn't get FFB on, They have all worked for me. I would imagine the wheel itself may have had issues, Mine went crazy over the last year, sudden hard turns to the left all by itself and it would stay there. And force feedback that in no way could be attributed to anything happening onscreen..

As for the quality of the Wheel?...Good for its time, Though Im kicking myself that I didn't upgrade mine years ago, Its not anywhere near the quality of the Driving Force Pro I recently aquired.

SolMiester
30-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Yip, thru dedicated sound card. Alot of new mobo dont have onboard serial port anyway, well, NForce chipset at least.
Interesting that you dont have any issues, what version was it?

Metla
30-01-2006, 02:21 PM
What version was my wheel?

One of the originals, Black, Gameport only.

SolMiester
30-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Metla, that Driving Force Pro looks alot like the Momo wheel, is that the successor?

Metla
30-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Sort of, It is their flagship product but is only packaged as being for the PS2, It even has a GranTurismo logo on it. Works perfectly on a PC.

It has a real bearing, optical sensors for steering and 900 degrees of steering.

So while it is considered by most to be superior then the Momo it isn't part of the same product line.