PDA

View Full Version : canon mpc190 problem

flaash
29-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi, I acquired a multifunction centre from a friend. It doesn't print very well, I've been told that it was sitting around for a while cos it had a problem with the print head. I'm hoping theres an inexpensive option to fix it...PLEASE HELP!!

gibler
29-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Try and reseat the print head and clean it (called Nozzle Check by Canon).

Look at the support area on canon.co.nz for info (or manual). YOu may have to try and clean the printheads lots of times or failing that buy a new one (approx $150).

Look here (http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/search/forums?f=&q=canon+printhead) too.

Billy T
29-01-2006, 08:10 PM
It would help a great deal if you could tell us exactly what you mean by "doesn't print very well". For example, is it missing colours, is the printing streaky or whatever, does the printing lack contrast etc?

Our resident mind-reader is on leave at present. ;)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

flaash
30-01-2006, 10:37 AM
It would help a great deal if you could tell us exactly what you mean by "doesn't print very well". For example, is it missing colours, is the printing streaky or whatever, does the printing lack contrast etc?

Our resident mind-reader is on leave at present. ;)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Hi, it only seems to print in blue. I have brand new ink in the printer, I have done everything the maintenance guide in the manual said. All I can think of is that its a faulty printhead. Perhaps I could take it out and manually clean it??

flaash
30-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Try and reseat the print head and clean it (called Nozzle Check by Canon).

Look at the support area on canon.co.nz for info (or manual). YOu may have to try and clean the printheads lots of times or failing that buy a new one (approx $150).

Look here (http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/search/forums?f=&q=canon+printhead) too.

I have been pricing print heads and not many people seem to sell them. One place I enquired at referred me to a company in Hamilton who I haven't yet tried.

somebody
30-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Quite a while ago someone on this forum mentioned physically (and very carefully) removing the print heads, and soaking in warm soapy water overnight. I'm not too sure if this is still a recommended fix.

gibler
30-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Quite a while ago someone on this forum mentioned physically (and very carefully) removing the print heads, and soaking in warm soapy water overnight. I'm not too sure if this is still a recommended fix.

maybe this (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=42638) ??

somebody
30-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I think so...

Billy T
30-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I recently stumbled across a major thread on another foum dealing with the same problem but on HP.

The cure was to soak the lower part of the head in very hot water for several minutes, then blot the ink nozzles dry with a soft cloth or tissue. Repeat as necessary until you get colours running from each nozzle set then put back into the printer and do a full deep head clean. Print the Canon test page which will show if any nozzles are still blocked, then repeat the whole procedure until all are clean. Don't worry if you get some smeary results to start with, there may be residual water inside some of the first nozzles to come clean.

I see no reason why this won't work for Canon.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

flaash
30-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I recently stumbled across a major thread on another foum dealing with the same problem but on HP.

The cure was to soak the lower part of the head in very hot water for several minutes, then blot the ink nozzles dry with a soft cloth or tissue. Repeat as necessary until you get colours running from each nozzle set then put back into the printer and do a full deep head clean. Print the Canon test page which will show if any nozzles are still blocked, then repeat the whole procedure until all are clean. Don't worry if you get some smeary results to start with, there may be residual water inside some of the first nozzles to come clean.

I see no reason why this won't work for Canon.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try. The forum that was mentioned seems to talking about the actual ink cartridges, and that can't be the problem because they are brand new ink cartridges