PDA

View Full Version : No Wordpad or Paint

sarum
28-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi, After recently reinstalling Windows ME, I have neither of the above. I've done search and run, and found the 'help' files for both, but nothing else. After the reinstall I down loaded Open Office and I wonder if this could have affected it. I was not aware of anything missing before the OOorg download.
Is there some way that I could reclaim these from the ME disc:. I can do without Paint but 'Backup' tells me it needs Wordpad to work - perhaps there's a way 'round this? I don't really need OOo, Abiword or Jarte is enough for my needs.
Once again my thanks to those willing helpers out there - Sarum.

Pancake
28-01-2006, 08:19 PM
You will need your Windows Me cd-rom, put the disc in the drive, and when the windows pops up, you can just close it. Then go to start-settings-control panel, then go to add remove programs. Then go to Windows setup, then go to Accessories, and if you see Notepad in there, uncheck it, then hit apply and ok, then reboot your computer. When your computer is back up, do the same thing, but this time when you unchecked it, you must now check it and then hit apply and ok, and reboot.You should also be able to do the same thing with Paint

Greg
28-01-2006, 09:44 PM
if you see Notepad in there, uncheck itI'm sure you mean Wordpad.

But if I recall correctly, it comes with Works and isn't part of the default ME installation? In which case yeah, remove it via Add/Remove, but reinstall from the Works disk.

Pancake
28-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Yep I was getting confused with Notepad...sorry about that.

drcspy
29-01-2006, 04:00 AM
wordpad is and alwyas was a standard component of all windows installations.....

sarum
29-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your replies. Pancake's solution worked fine with Paint; but Wordpad was not on the Accessory List ( in Add/Remove>Control Panel).
Has anyone any further ideas please. As I mentioned earlier Backup needs Wordpad to open 'QIC Files'. Perhaps there's a way to get Notepad or Open Office to do the job. I'm sure I wont miss Wordpad if needs be. Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks again for the restoration of Paint.
Sarum

sarum
29-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your replies. Pancake's solution worked fine with Paint; but Wordpad was not on the Accessory List ( in Add/Remove>Control Panel).
Has anyone any further ideas please. As I mentioned earlier Backup needs Wordpad to open 'QIC Files'. Perhaps there's a way to get Notepad or Open Office to do the job. I'm sure I wont miss Wordpad if needs be. Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks again for the restoration of Paint.
Sarum

Graham L
29-01-2006, 02:45 PM
These days you need Wordpad. Notepad can't handle a file bigger than 64k bytes long.

Terry Porritt
29-01-2006, 02:57 PM
It is strange as wordpad must be an option in Accessories as drcspy indicates. If it isn't there it suggests that the install was not complete or was buggy?

See if wordpad.inf is in c:\windows\inf, if it is, try right clicking on it and 'install'.

Terry Porritt
29-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Trying to install wordpad via wordpad.inf probably wont work :blush:

At least it didn't in Win98SE after uninstalling wordpad from Accessories.

What did work was to extract wordpad.exe from the CAB files, putting it into c:\program files\accessories.

Doing this and clicking on the executable started wordpad ok, but it doesn't show up in the Accessories list.

To get it listed I had to install it the accepted way, from Add/Remove - Windows setup.

Now it is just possible this trick works because other files that wordpad uses were already installed, but it is worth trying.

http://www.real-knowledge.com/extract.htm

sarum
01-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Terry, thanks that site fixed it. Clearly something must have gone wrong on the install but its way beyond me to guess what. I'm very greatful to have Wordpad back again..................Thanks sarum

marty124
05-02-2006, 07:37 AM
im not familiar with winme
but in xp
wordpad can be enabled by going to
windows components-accessorys-and enable
clipboard viewer and document templates
you need your cd in the cd rom as it will ask you
as i posted im not sure if this applys to ME
marty