PDA

View Full Version : VOIP Stunt

Jester
28-01-2006, 03:40 PM
This is a free VOIP device, apparently calls to landlines in the following countries are free..

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Chile
China
Croatia
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Singapore
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom
United States

I have downloaded it and phoned our number, seemed to work ok. Has anyone used it at all ... is there a 'catch'? There does not appear to be any nasties in it but one never knows...

http://www.voipstunt.com/

SurferJoe46
28-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Check it out here: http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/01/5057/

Cicero
28-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Tried to ring myself,keeps telling me,it's an invalid #

godfather
28-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Tried to ring myself,keeps telling me,it's an invalid #

That should tell you something, (that we have suspected a long time)?

Also there are some "catches", like 1 minute calls unless you give them money to "mind" for you.

Free calls with VoipStunt

Next to the free calls to all your online peers, VoipStunt also offers free calls to ANY regular land-line in various popular destinations (see panel).

To counter misuse of our network we have limited these free calls to a maximum of 1 minute for our trial users. If you want to enjoy UNLIMITED FREE CALLS to these destinations, you have to become a fully registered user by topping up your account.

This credit deposit will stay untouched as long as you are calling the free destinations.

Jester
28-01-2006, 07:35 PM
You ring the full number, ie: 00 - 64 - area code single digit - number.

I have just rung the local weather phone. The call has been going over 2 mins so far...

godfather
28-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Others report the same, but I strongly suspect as soon as it gets used and known the 1 minute limit will kick in.

In the meantime it's Beta and probably unrestricted.

It would be interesting to know what their cost model is, as their interconnect in NZ will be at least the business rate per minute. On the basis that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I wonder how long "free will be "free"?

It will certainly be costing VOIP Stunt money for every call.

Cicero
28-01-2006, 09:14 PM
What we can say is,it' a cunning stunt.!
Is that the Royal we?

Renmoo
29-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Can VOIP call be traced back to the caller?

Cheers :)

Cicero
29-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Just spent 21 mins ,talking to Wellinton.
Seems too good to be true.
If one uses speakers,the other end gets feed back(echo)

maani_ch
12-02-2006, 10:40 AM
i m from saudi arabia and i cant able to register my self to voip stunt. is it possible that some of my forum mebers send me a username and password or private message me .it will be thankful to you

Cicero
12-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Run out of free time,so have deleted.
How dare they charge,the cads.

Graham L
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Can't call Cuba, Iran, Iraq, ... ?:D

lazydog
12-02-2006, 01:10 PM
It must give you about 30 mins free credit.
I called 3 friends in oz and each call was approx 10mins long.
They said they had a slight delay on their end but very good my end.
I'm on 256k.

Renmoo
12-02-2006, 05:39 PM
You can keep on applying for new accounts and use them to call your kiths and kins, can't you?

Greven
12-02-2006, 06:21 PM
You can keep on applying for new accounts and use them to call your kiths and kins, can't you?

They will probably limit it to one account per IP address.

godfather
12-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I use it, as a "paid service".

The 10 credit required is only about $18 NZ equivalent, have probably used that value in free calls so far and still have all the 10 credit left.

It's a bit "simplex" in operation, as when you talk you cannot always hear the other party, probably more due to the delay. But audio quality is OK, and its essentially a free "second line" for NZ calls for me as well.

Works fine for calling Australia.
I just use a cheap DSE Laser USB phone.

Renmoo
12-02-2006, 10:05 PM
They will probably limit it to one account per IP address.
Well, if you are on dial-up, your IP address will change everytime you reconnect. On broadband, I have no idea - unless, you ask a dial-up Internet user to help you set up another account?

Lizard
13-02-2006, 08:42 AM
I use it, as a "paid service".

The 10 credit required is only about $18 NZ equivalent, have probably used that value in free calls so far and still have all the 10 credit left.

It's a bit "simplex" in operation, as when you talk you cannot always hear the other party, probably more due to the delay. But audio quality is OK, and its essentially a free "second line" for NZ calls for me as well.

Works fine for calling Australia.
I just use a cheap DSE Laser USB phone.

Any credit unused after 120 days expires, so you would presumably have to either make some "charge" calls, or renew your "deposit". But even $54 is a small amount if you make a number of toll calls otherwise. I find so long as you let the other person know about the delay, it's usually fine.

Cicero
13-02-2006, 10:47 AM
All seems a bit Mickey Mouse to me.

godfather
13-02-2006, 11:29 AM
All seems a bit Mickey Mouse to me.

It's not though.

There is a real and significant cost to redirecting internet based calls into landline networks, it is charged for by the landline network owner and paid for by VOIP Stunt.

$18 for 4 months of free international toll calls (to the countries I call, which are non charged) plus a free "second line" for use when the main line is tied up by someone else or by my fax, for any calls I need to make outwards, even local ones, is not exorbitant.

It is very likely that I will never actually use the "credit", therefore its a "charge" in that respect, but not a very expensive one.

Lizard
13-02-2006, 11:35 AM
It's not though.

There is a real and significant cost to redirecting internet based calls into landline networks, it is charged for by the landline network owner and paid for by VOIP Stunt.

$18 for 4 months of free international toll calls (to the countries I call, which are non charged) plus a free "second line" for use when the main line is tied up by someone else or by my fax, for any calls I need to make outwards, even local ones, is not exorbitant.

It is very likely that I will never actually use the "credit", therefore its a "charge" in that respect, but not a very expensive one.

And if you want to use the credit, you could always make a few cellphone calls. I'll probably make a "deposit" soon as I can sort out a payment option. Anyone use paypal round here?

Cicero
13-02-2006, 12:21 PM
It's not though.

Along with the above,can we say this is the best VOIP provider available to us at the moment?

godfather
13-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh an just like prepaid cellphones, the credit seems to only expire if you do not top it up. So it's not actually "lost" if you top up within the 120 days, it accumulates.

Along with the above,can we say this is the best VOIP provider available to us at the moment?

No idea.
Its exceedingly simple to grasp and use at the least, in my experience.

Cicero
13-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh an just like prepaid cellphones, the credit seems to only expire if you do not top it up. So it's not actually "lost" if you top up within the 120 days, it accumulates.

No idea.
Its exceedingly simple to grasp and use at the least, in my experience.
I was thinking of a better service,re echo delay and so on.
Maybe someone else knows what is going on in the VOIP world,as at the moment there seems to be an absence of the full picture.

Cicero
13-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Perhaps someone could look at this.I can never get to the bottom of these things.

http://www.skype.com/

godfather
14-02-2006, 09:19 AM
What -specifically- do you want compared?

The "echo" is a byproduct of the lag in the internet traffic. Considering all traffic uses basically the same "internet", the quality should be similar for each.

Skype charge a few cents per minute for PC to landline, VOIPStunt require a standing credit.

Only you can do the sums for where you call, as to which is the best or most economical.

Cicero
14-02-2006, 09:30 AM
What -specifically- do you want compared?

The "echo" is a byproduct of the lag in the internet traffic. Considering all traffic uses basically the same "internet", the quality should be similar for each.

Skype charge a few cents per minute for PC to landline, VOIPStunt require a standing credit.

Only you can do the sums for where you call, as to which is the best or most economical.
Not hard to see,why it was I used to wear one of those pointed hats in corner of class.

lazydog
14-02-2006, 09:57 AM
As far as skype goes...

My sister in oz brought some credit for skype and rang our father on his landline (in oz) then called me on my computer in nz through skype and we had a three way conversation. Worked good.

Before that me and my sis had been talking for hours through skype computer to computer calling and i had my webcam running as well. She said the webcam was very clear (it looks like its running at between 10/15 fps though).
Its just like talking on the phone.
Using a headset with mic gives the best results otherwise you can get feedback.
Just wish more family and friends had a computer running xp with broadband.