PDA

View Full Version : Slow Broadband from ACER notebook

Colin
27-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Acer Celeron 2.8. 256 Ram XP home

I have a Dynalink RTA320 modem and was using it to network my laptop and Desktop(Desktop on USB and Laptop on Ethernet). This worked well until last WE when it turned to custard. The laptop slowed down to less than dialup and seemed to slow down the Desktop as well. Disconnect the laptop and all fine
Sent Modem for testing. All sweet.
They said the way I was using it was not how it was intended. So I purchased a network router and it works fine(Print and file sharing sweet) except that the problem is still there.
I connected the laptop (with a brand new Ethernet cable) directly to the modem- damn still the same problem and wouldn't you know it my laptop just came out of warranty a couple of months ago.
I have run Ad Aware, Spybot and Spyware Doctor. Have run Speed Disc on the HD and run the registry cleaner.
If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from you.
Cheers
Colin

NIGGEL
28-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Have you tried connecting the laptop to the modem via USB? If this works better I would suspect your ethernet adapter is the problem.

Pancake
28-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Have you exceeded your download limit and your ISP has cut your speed ?.

Graham L
28-01-2006, 01:56 PM
If it worked once, it should still work.;)

You might have a problem in the Ethernet link ... if there are errors, lots of resending packets can slow you down.

Install Etherreal on the desktop, and use it to monitor an Internet session of the laptop.