PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 2600+ OVERHEATING to 85DEG 3MIN!?

Sync_88k
26-01-2006, 12:56 PM
yeah, i have installed an athlon 2600+ in my mobo as a test.
the starting temperature was okay, at 45 deg. but then the temperature kept on going up on a linear scale. It had reached 85 deg in less than 3 mins,and shut down (due to the shutdown temperature setting at 85deg) And thats with an AMD CERTIFIED copper based heatsink (rated 3ghz max).

the Cpu was running in a relatively case, and the air temperature around was at roughtly 26deg.

I am not sure why the athlon Xp 2600+, running at 2.1ghz, manage to overheat so fast.

Is it the temperature transmitter in the motherboard's fault?
or is it because of a crappy heatsink (which i doubt)
or maybe it is because of the lack of cold air running through the heatsink. because the fan speed was around 2800rpm

I could have disabled the shutdown temperature, but then i dont want to risk frying my new athlon 2600

so ah, ne tips?

thanks all.

Graham L
26-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Is it actually getting that hot? Temperature readings from computers are notoriously unreliable. They are computers, not thermometers. ;) The sensors are cheap, and uncalibrated.

At above 70 degrees C you won't be able to hold your finger on the hot part for more than about a second.

Jen
26-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Are you sure the heatsink is on properly? You didn't put too much thermal paste on either?

Metla
26-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Does it have a fan on the heatsink?

is it moving?

Have you mounted the heatsink in the correct orintation?, it has a step in it.

Mirddes
26-01-2006, 03:50 PM
mine used to sorta do that. cept it was really odd like went up to like 100*C then instantly changed to like 30*C -which was odd