PDA

View Full Version : laser printer and xp

drcspy
24-01-2006, 06:12 AM
in this situation we have a brother HL 5040 laser printer, (parralel connection) and a reasonably newish system running xp home sp2. The printer will seem to work fine for some time, weeks etc, then all of a sudden there'll be the old 'spooler subsystem has encoutered and error and needs to close'........checked this out and Microsoft seem to be aware of this issue and posted a fix.....

1. Start the computer in Safe mode.

For additional information about starting your computer in Safe mode, click Start, click
Help and Support, type safe mode in the Search box, press ENTER, and then click the
Start Windows inSafe mode topic.
2. Start Windows Explorer, and then delete all files and folders in the following two
folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\printers
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

3. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

4. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86
View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:
Drivers
Print Processors

5. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 4, follow these steps:
a. On the File menu, click Export.
b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type
WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

You can use this backup of the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86
registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete
this procedure.
c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 4 .

6. Navigate to and then click the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors registry key.
View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:
BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor

7. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 6, follow these steps:
a. On the File menu, click Export.
b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type
WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

You can use this backup of the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors
registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete
this procedure.
c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 6.

8. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

9. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to
the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then try to print a test page.

now this works well but what I REALLY want to know is.............WHY is this happening......i fixed this problem the other day with this method then two days later the same error pops it's ugly head up again.......this after the system has run perfectly well for about 3-4 months.........sure I can fix it again......but WHY WHY WHY.......what's teh cause of this constant problem ?

drcspy
24-01-2006, 07:37 AM
bumpity bump ?

kingdragonfly
24-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but have you tried disabling the spooler service? In some situations, it's not strictly required.

drcspy
24-01-2006, 09:27 AM
doesn't seem to run with it disabled.......

TeejayR
24-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Have you tried removing the printer then re-installing it with a USB Cable ?

I'm running the Brother HL-5040 on Windows Pro XP2 via USB and the only problem I've had is sometimes when printing multiple documents after the first documents is 20-30 pages the spooler system reports that it has not printed subsequent documents - when in fact it has.

drcspy
24-01-2006, 11:48 AM
to be honeset I hadn't even noticed it runs usb lol......i'll do that !

drcspy
24-01-2006, 04:59 PM
HAD TO do a major repair fiddle around to get it running again then disabled the print spooler .......seems ok now.....thanks for your input guys...

Fler
27-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi! I think - u must fing a true driver for printer.

drcspy
27-01-2006, 05:31 AM
no we already had the 'true' driver as you call it.......that wasn't the problem ...however having gone now into printer properties and set the printer to 'print directly to printer'.............and disabled print spooling it seems ok.......it seems brother are aware fo this problem but their 'fix' was pretty well useless......

JJJJJ
27-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Talking of printer faults. My Panasonic Laser (or windows) always puts up the "found new hardware" notice everytime I switch it on. I just delete the notice and away we go.
More annoying I get an out of paper notice at irregular intervals. Just click on "try again" and it finds the paper.

My Opinion: Any Laser printer under $500 is rubbish.