PDA

View Full Version : Is this a reliable HP LaserJet?

Billy
23-01-2006, 08:05 PM
1) Has anyone had any experience with the HP LaserJet 1022 or 1022n?

I want RELIABILITY and something that isn't plagued by paper jams.

Speed is not a requirement. Nor is very high resolution printing. I will be printing mainly text with some graphics.

2) Also does the toner pack comes with a new drum?

Thanks.

Chemical Ali
23-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I have the Brother HL-5140 and its great -- when it does jam (which is rare) its very easy to fix the problem and the toner lasts for ages.

bob_doe_nz
23-01-2006, 08:33 PM
ZDNet Review (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_LaserJet_1022/4505-3159_16-31344356.html)

PCMag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1844538,00.asp)

godfather
23-01-2006, 08:44 PM
The word HP and Brother should not appear in the same sentence, longevity wise.
The 1022 toner has a new drum in every toner according to Google.

The Brother HL-5140 is very low priced ($367 typical) and a new drum is about $170.
The HP is only slightly dearer, but the drum is included in the toner (but the toner will be slightly dearer).

My experience with 2 earlier (HL4010 I think) Brother units were that a new drum was needed every 2 or 3 toners, which made the running cost higher, vs the slightly lower purchase price.

OK for school homework quality (as it tends to drop off quickly as the drum wears) but certainly not for small business use.

Whereas my HP 2100 is still going strong after 6 years, just like a new printer every toner change (I get about 7,000 prints for a $90 toner/drum unit)

Ended up giving the Brother printers away, the recipient ended up sending them to the dump when he found out the drum prices.
Brother make very good faxes, but not printers (in my experience). That includes inkjets as well.

andrew93
23-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Billy

The 1020 range is the entry level model from HP and we have seen a few die just out of warranty. Given the cost to fix vs replace etc, they aren't worth repairing. They are ok for what they are but be aware they have been built cheaply. It's the HP equivalent of a 'throw-away' printer.

Upsides : speedy, takes up little space on the desk and is sort of economical to run at low volumes. Downsides : not built to last, expensive to run at high volumes and they haven't been around long enough to prove themselves. Conclusion : not the best printer in the HP stable but at that price point, it meets some peoples needs.

In answer to your questions : they aren't known for paper jams but often the paper can be the cause of the jam, new printers ship with a new toner cartridge and as GF pointed out the 'drum' and 'cartridge' are included together in the 'toner cartridge' as a single unit, unlike the Brother. {Having a new drum in every cartridge, as you get with HP, gives a much better print quality}

Andrew

beama
23-01-2006, 09:47 PM
We use (several) 1022n on our network (Ip printing) and they are thrashed and never miss a beat. They do however have a low yeild toner cartridge.

I find HPs give good service.
I have only had one one issue with them, the driver on the n version is meant to detect the printer on the network (1022n) It does not always do this. The fix is easy pm me if you need to know.

SurferJoe46
24-01-2006, 05:54 AM
I have a personal dislike for most of HP's stuff. Not the hardware, but the peripherals.

I installed a HP AIO for a friend and I could not believe all the crappola that HP inserts on the drives. I tried crippling some of the extras, and the HP couldn't call home and threw a hissy fit. I ended up re-installing the whole bundle and it works fine.

The output of a HP is clean..I especially liked the 4 ink cartridges...but that's not a laser type.

On the laser types, they seem to run and run..but they also cost $$ to re-toner/re-drum. I think it might pencil out to just replace the laser ones with a new unit in toto when it comes to the the second time you have to do this.

I run Canons myself. I don't need the finesse and speed of a really great printer. Bubblejets are fine for me. I cannot speak for the needs and desires of anyone else..but I just don't like the massive soft- and firmware that HP loads.

The lazer HP a friend runs in his wife's semi-professional bookkeeping service has not had a jam in three years, so I think that's a moot point. All in all, the name HP is supposed to be good, but maybe just the upper end and more expensive ones. I don't like the AIO units very much though.

Eric
24-01-2006, 06:13 AM
I have the Brother HL-5140 and its great -- when it does jam (which is rare) its very easy to fix the problem and the toner lasts for ages.

Yes I have a Brother HL-5140 as well, the pages fly out, paper only jams when I put the paper back in to printer to print on the other side of the page, I have given up on putting paper back in, as one jam up left a small mark on the drum were information does not get printed.

I am thinking of getting a Brother duplex printer that prints on both sides.

Billy
24-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks folks. Several questions arise.

1) This is the kind of information I wish they'd print in PC World printer reviews. I bought my Kyocera laser on the basis of a good review but what the review didn't cover was the quality of the mechanical parts! Everything else about the printer is fine but what good is that when the mechanical parts keep wearing out? Maybe the all-important figure is the Duty Cycle.

2) Andrew93 wrote "They are ok for what they are but be aware they have been built cheaply. It's the HP equivalent of a 'throw-away' printer."

This raises the following question. If I buy a more expensive model how do I know that it's not just more expensive because it got more features (but the same cheap body) or because it is a better quality unit? What is a well-build bottom-end Laserjet model?

3) SurferJoe46 wrote "I installed a HP AIO for a friend and I could not believe all the crappola that HP inserts on the drives." I had the same problem with a HP scanner once!

4) I wonder if I'd be better buying a reconditioned "business end" HP Laser on Trademe (eg from hptechnician?).

Any thoughts?

andrew93
24-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi Billy

The more expensive models have better engines, better cases, higher duty cycles, more functionality (e.g. LCD screen, network options, additional trays, duplex options, envelope feeders etc.) and provided it is a corporate model (as opposed to a home model) it should be built to last. However, in my opinion, the earlier printers were built better (e.g. the LaserJet 5 is an excellent example, they just keep going and going plus they were the last HP LaserJet printer that had a solid core fuser), so you may be better off buying a used printer. Plus the cartridge yields are often better with the older printers anyway. Properly maintained, we have seen some HP LaserJet printers print in excess of 2 million pages - no exaggeration.

Of the used model range, I personally like the HP LaserJet 2100, 2200, the older 5/5M, the 4000/4050 and the 4100 models. They are all good reliable printers. Be wary of what you buy on TradeMe because a number of the sellers don't know what they are talking about (e.g. 'networkable' does not mean it has a NIC installed) - there are about half a dozen sellers who know what they are doing (incl. Joe, aka 'hptechnician', who you mentioned).

PM me if you need any advice.

HTH, Andrew

Greg
25-01-2006, 08:12 AM
4) I wonder if I'd be better buying a reconditioned "business end" HP Laser on Trademe (eg from hptechnician?). I've got an HP 5M, in good working condition, along with two "new" quality recycled toner cartridges, that I'd be willing to swap for a decent HP inkjet. This machine was quite a serious business workhorse in its day.