PDA

View Full Version : ipod on windows XP-does the first time install from ipod CD come with........

lance4k
23-01-2006, 12:44 PM
if u have an ipod and windows xp can you go to Start > All Programs > iPod

and is there an option to RESTORE ur ipod with a thing called ipod updater?

And is there an option to RESTORE?

And does this RESTORE ipod feature show up after installing itunes from the itunes installation CD that came with the ipod? Or do u have to download the ipod updater seperately?

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2006, 12:53 PM
The program you're talking about is different from Itunes.

Its used to update the firmware on an Ipod, and the restore option restores the Ipod to its original settings (restore deletes everything on the Ipod).

Including MP3's.

The Itunes install is about 20mb, the Ipodsetup.exe file is 45.4mb.

This file will update all current Ipods to the latest firmware.

BUT, I think Itunes has to be installed, if you want to use the Ipod, as a disk drive (The option for this is in Itunes).

So, u can access it, / transfer MP3's to / from the Ipod, if u use something like Winamp. Which, I use for MP3's, instead of Itunes.

lance4k
23-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes i know that ipod updater restores it to original settings. But if u read the ipod user guide that comes with the ipod or u can d/l from net, it says talks about the ipod updater and accessing it from the start menu.

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Yer thats right the Ipod updater just updates / checks the version of the firmware on the Ipod, thats currently connected. Nothing else. The Ipod updater comes with the Ipodsetup download, not with Itunes.

I've got the update file at the mo, on the hdd. BUT it isnt installed. So, I cant read the guide. Once I update the firmware, I uninstall the program.

Well, if it did come with your Ipod (the Ipodsetup file), it may not be the file, that installs the latest version of the firmware on the Ipod.

apparition
23-01-2006, 02:54 PM
BUT, I think Itunes has to be installed, if you want to use the Ipod, as a disk drive (The option for this is in Itunes).

Needing itunes to set your ipod to disk mode is for Mac users. Windows sees the ipod like any other USB drive.

The audio files are coded and hidden so they want you only to use itunes to manage them.

To lance4k: yes there is a folder on the start menu under programs called ipod and that contains the updater. The updater has two buttons; Restore and Update.

You have my sympathy if you need to use restore.

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Well windows sees it as a disk drive thats true, but it wont appear under devices in Winamp, until u tick the option.

Since I use Winamp, for transferring MP3's to/from the Ipod, not Itunes.

apparition
23-01-2006, 03:04 PM
yes I had to do that on my mother's machine because she's on win98. There are actually quite a few utilities out there but I've since got into podcasts and itunes is easier for that

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2006, 03:13 PM
True altho there are freeware programs for podcasts. And they're smaller.

Itunes is a waste of space.

Which is why I use Winamp, and the plugin for the Ipod, which is only 152k.

A lot easier than using Itunes. It does the same thing. Lets you copy MP3's to an Ipod, and MP3's from the Ipod to the hdd.

apparition
23-01-2006, 03:19 PM
The only thing that bothers me about itunes is not being able to transfer my music files back to the HD. Other than that I'm not counting space enough to be concerned by Itunes.