PDA

View Full Version : Website help

lazydog
21-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi,
Made a website and have just been given the go ahead to host it.
I'm just wondering do i upload the folder containing all the pages, images etc as a single unit or do i upload all the html files and image folders etc inside the main folder that holds them indervidualy?

Thanks.

maccrazy
21-01-2006, 11:28 AM
I presume you have a shared hosting account on a Linux based server? If so, just select all the files and drag them to the "public_html" folder. :)

superuser
21-01-2006, 11:34 AM
^^ Er assuming his root directory is public_html.

You dont want to upload the folder containing all your files and images, as this will put your files under www.your-domain/folder/files...

Rather, select all the files and folders and upload them (just select them all at once).

Another thing to ensure is that your homepage is named correctly, usually servers are set to load index.html / index.htm etc...by default.

lazydog
21-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks.
Thats how i've done it.
Is there anyway to stop people from seeing the directory tree if they try?.
Or is that just the way it is.

maccrazy
21-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Is there anyway to stop people from seeing the directory tree if they try?.What kind of server are you running the site on? Linux with CPanel?

^^ Er assuming his root directory is public_html.
That is the most common. ;)

superuser
21-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Upload a file named index.html and that will hide the directory tree. That is what I was talking about before with the server loading index.* by default.

maccrazy
21-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Or, if the answer to the question posed in my previous post is yes then find the "Index Manager" in CPanel. This allows you to choose between no indexes, standard indexing (text only) and fancy indexing (graphics) for directories without an index file. :)

stu161204
21-01-2006, 11:54 AM
<always refresh thread before replying :blush: >

lazydog
21-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok will have a look.
Trying to access my contol panel for the first time at my site but its taking along time to load.
Will have a look at what you mention maccrazy and will reply soon.

mejobloggs
21-01-2006, 12:24 PM
He has linux with cpanel

lazydog
21-01-2006, 01:05 PM
How come the control panel takes so long to load mejoeblogs?

Greg
21-01-2006, 01:57 PM
How come the control panel takes so long to loadBecause it's a lazy dog of an interface.

Also, you'd be way better using FTP uploading the site. And it's a lot tidier to create a sub-folder called images, and have any images inserted there, both on your system and on the server.

lazydog
21-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm using Filezilla to upload my files to the server as recommended by mejoeblogs. Works good.

I wanted to have a look at the control panel to see how it works (being the first time for me and all) but gave up after 10 mins of waiting for it to load. Couldnt make much of it anyway as no images would show?.

Anyway, still after a way of hiding the directory tree. Nothing to hide but would rather...... I know its been mentioned above but i'm a real noob to this and not sure how to go about it?.
I've found the Index folder but how do i protect it?

Thanks.

maccrazy
21-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I wanted to have a look at the control panel to see how it works (being the first time for me and all) but gave up after 10 mins of waiting for it to load. Couldnt make much of it anyway as no images would show?.Who is your webhost? Your control panel should load just as quick as any other web page.

lazydog
21-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Who is your webhost? Your control panel should load just as quick as any other web page.
A fello PF1 member. Hes been helping me this arvo. Poor guy. Doesnt know what hes got himself into. :D

We're getting it sorted though.
Thanks for your replies btw.
Brian

maccrazy
21-01-2006, 09:30 PM
If your problems persist you may want to find a proper web host. :)

mejobloggs
21-01-2006, 11:24 PM
It could be because cpanel has lots of eyecandy? Not sure, I have never had a problem with it. Ah well, it is free hosting. I will see if I can find a less image intensive theme.

maccrazy
22-01-2006, 09:51 AM
It could be because cpanel has lots of eyecandy? Not sure, I have never had a problem with it. Ah well, it is free hosting. I will see if I can find a less image intensive theme.Oh, we're talking about free hosting. That explains everything. :p

Edit: That's right, I remember the thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=63698&page=1) about that now.