PDA

View Full Version : Mouse install

bugalugs67
19-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Trying to install an optical mouse on an old system. It started on Windows 95 and was upgraded to 98. Originally had a serial mouse. Installed a usb card which it seemed to accept but when installing the mouse it asks for the 98 CD and is looking for a file called hidparse.sys. I have the 95 CD but the 98 CD is still back in an atic on the other side of the world & I won't get back there 'till Sept. There are 2 copies of hidparse.sys in the mouse folder on the hard drive. I haven't uninstalled the old mouse. Is there a workaround ?

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Find out what the brand/model of the mouse is.

And go to the site, and download the drivers for it?

Graham L
19-01-2006, 02:51 PM
The "HID" means "Human Interface Device" ... that means USB mice and keyboards, mostly.

The basic problem is that USB came later than W95 and W98, and wasn't properly understood by the time of W98SE. (Sometimes I think that it isn't properly understood by manufacturers even now. :D)

So it's a bit of a lottery whether USB will work. I have a theory that "standard" interfaces never work reliably until they are obsolete. Parallel and serial ports work pretty well now. ;)

Can you tell it to "Browse" when it ask for the W98 CD, and point it to the mouse directory? It looks as if the mouse people foresaw your problem and provided the file.

Terry Porritt
19-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Also have a look here:
http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/31/31924.htm

pctek
19-01-2006, 03:20 PM
You can download specific files for Win98. Just google the file download it and resume your install.

bugalugs67
20-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Find out what the brand/model of the mouse is.

And go to the site, and download the drivers for it?

Thanks. The mouse is an el-cheapo Dick Smith and came with drivers on a floppy and seems to be doing all the right things until it cant find the hidpase...no options...spit the dummy.....dham