PDA

View Full Version : Stoppining and Starting Programmes / servicers

WicKed
19-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi to all
I was wondering if there is a program available anywhere that can be used to stop and start programmes and services. The reason is that some of the games I play are resource intensive and it would be nice to press an icon to shutdown un-needed programs (anitvius / firewall etc - note connected to the net when playing) and thus free up some resources on the PC. Obviously I would want to do the opposite as wall - start them again when I want to go online.
Regards
Ross

apparition
19-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi to all
I was wondering if there is a program available anywhere that can be used to stop and start programmes and services. The reason is that some of the games I play are resource intensive and it would be nice to press an icon to shutdown un-needed programs (anitvius / firewall etc - note connected to the net when playing) and thus free up some resources on the PC. Obviously I would want to do the opposite as wall - start them again when I want to go online.
Regards
Ross

I had the same problem. You can make batch files with the net stop and net start commands. :thumbs:

net stop [servce name as it appears in services.msc]

net start [same as above]

run services.msc from the run prompt for the exact names

apparition
19-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I forgot - put the service name in quotes because of spaces and such.

kingdragonfly
19-01-2006, 10:05 AM
I'd strongly recommend *never* shutting down your local software-based firewall, unless you've got a second hardware-based firewall protecting you.

Even if you're using a dial-up account, it's easy to forget to turn it back on.

A Windows PC without any firewall can be "gone in 20 seconds."

There are many fine Internet sources recommending which services can be safely shut down. Blackviper used to be the best, but it appears to have gone south.

Anyone found a good alternate to blackviper?

apparition
19-01-2006, 10:50 AM
that's why you put it all in two batch files

games.bat and
normal.bat

When you're offline you don't telephony (if on dialup) or your firewall or your resource sucking antivirus
I always get rid of print spooler and the like too

PaulD
19-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Most of this tweaking has no effect on performance.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=1678445&enterthread=y

apparition
19-01-2006, 11:07 AM

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=1678445&enterthread=y

I have taken three systems with clean installs of Windows XP and reviewed these tweaks. Well, the third isn't really a clean install, it has a bunch of software running which any typical user would run e.g. firewall, antivirus, speedfan, etc. The first two are lower-end systems that should theoretically benefit most from this treatment, neither has the prefix “giga” in either its CPU speed or RAM capacity. The last one is a modern system (at the time of writing, anyway).

Well there's your first problem. A new install (clean or not) runs fast with tweaking or not.

Secondly these tweaks at the very least free up RAM - RAM that has to actively tracked by the operating system.

Also progs like the antivirus are constantly active and use both disk and CPU time that degrades game performance.

kingdragonfly
19-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Though you could debate service tweaking may not have much affect on performance, I think it definitely has an affect on robustness and security.

On server products, Microsoft is pushing "minimal footprints." (Everyone's aware of the irony; e.g. Linux / Unix)

I remember "Code Red" virus, which exploited the IIS running the indexing service. Of course, if the indexing service was disabled, "Code Red" wasn't a problem. This actually saved my bacon, back in 2001.

WicKed
19-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies people
Looks like I will have to make a batch file that will stop the services then start my Game, and batch file that will check / start the services then run the dialup connection service to go online. That way Everything should be up, and running when I need it.
Although I remember reading about a program call "endit" or "Stopit" that did this but I can't remember excactly and I can't track it down.
Regards
Ross
ps. Shutting down the un-need services does make a diff to the frame rate of the game (actually its a simulator that is very resource intensive).

AMD Athlon XP2800+
BFG 6600GT OC 128MB
1 GB Ram (DDR)
AVG AntiVirus
ZoneAlarms Free
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy

apparition
19-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I remember "Code Red" virus, which exploited the IIS running the indexing service. Of course, if the indexing service was disabled, "Code Red" wasn't a problem. This actually saved my bacon, back in 2001.

Like the early worms and those of us who had VB scripting host turned off or not installed were left out of the craze.

apparition
19-01-2006, 11:59 AM
ps. Shutting down the un-need services does make a diff to the frame rate of the game (actually its a simulator that is very resource intensive).

What's the sim, a flight sim?

Thie biggest performance boost I've had lately was ripping out my internal modem - the CPU drag was bigger than I had ever suspected.

You could go into device manager and disable it.

or you can go nuts and create a hardware profile just for haming and nothing else.

I'm too tired to type that much instructions so look at this for a step by step.
http://www.technobabble.com.au/technobabble/html/gaming/gaming1.htm
After you've done that, boot into your games profile and disable your modem and it will stay disabled but only in your game profile.

kingdragonfly
19-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Good tip about the modem. There are some modem which still have on-board smarts, but due to their expense, they're few and far between.

apparition
19-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Exactly and some of those that say they do their own processing are actually host accelerated and they share you CPU time. While not quite as bad as a soft modem the difference is almost nill.