PDA

View Full Version : Broadband on Desktop - connect to Laptop???

frossy13
17-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Is there any way I can use my Broadband connection with my Laptop. In same room just wnt to download some programmes on to my Laptop.

bob_doe_nz
17-01-2006, 09:07 PM
The easiest method is to connect your computers to a switch. Then connect the broadband to the switch.
Saves a lot of hassle than using a crossover cable :2cents:

CliveM
17-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Yes!
Set up a network.
Search "networks" in this forum and you should find out what you need to know.

Renmoo
17-01-2006, 10:38 PM
I reckon if the desktop and the laptop are within close distance, crossover CAT cable might just do the job and save a few bucks on switches etc.

Cheers :)

Pete O'Neil
18-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Completely possible, what sort of modem do you have? If its the D-Link one that Xtra gives away for free just plug it into a switch and then plug the laptop and desktop into the switch. Spend the extra few dollars on the switch, it'll make life easier in the long run, i think you can get an 8port switch for as little as $30 now days.

drcspy
18-01-2006, 05:34 PM
yes that's a good point the d-link 302g has both ethernet and usb ports and two pc's can share.....otherwise a crossover cable is the least costly method .....about $10 at dicksmiths...but that depends on wether the modem has usb because to use the crossover cable assuming both pc's haev ethernet you will need to use the ethernet port on both pc's then you'll still need to connect to the modem so you'll need the usb port on the modem .......if it's got one...if it has then you might as well just plug one pc into the ethernet port on the modem and one into the usb.......argggggghhhhhh...!

lol

decisions......